Which kamado to get?

wiggles

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
wiggles
Hey gang! After being away for work for a year the family and I are moving into a new home, and my wife has agreed to my getting a grill. I've narrowed it down to a kamado, but which one? I was sure I'd need the Kamado Joe Big Joe II or III, but I've read that dual zone cooking on round kamados isn't really all that effective unlike on the oval Primos. I also dig the Primo is American made.

I want to be up and running for smoking, grilling, and baking right out the gate and have given myself a very hard cap of $2500 to include accessories. I can get a 10% discount with Saffire, so was looking at them as well. I think it's really come down to Primo, KJ, BGE, and Saffire. The Slow N Sear looked good too, but I don't think I can justify a 22" grill at this price point.

Any and all advice welcome. Thanks friends!

I never had issues dual zone cooking on my Big Joe. Used divide and conquer for that set up. Worked pretty well. I miss the grill.

What the other guy said is not a bad mention. Metal isn't nearly as fragile as ceramic is.

I have a Big Joe, the original design. I don't use it much anymore, but I never had an issue dual zone cooking. Actually it did a very good job of it.

I'd go for the weber summit even though its not a ceramic kamado.

Me too. I finally got to see one a few days ago, and it is very impressive. It's a better grill, and almost as good of a smoker (vs. ceramics), while being lighter and more durable. More versatile. The more grilling one does, the better it looks compared to an egg or the like. I do a lot more grilling than smoking.

I have the new Weber Summit Kamado and am very happy with it so far. I love that it's not breakable like the ceramics.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Man you guys must be tough on your stuff... I ve had my Primo around 10 years and no breaking issues. I would guess my Webber would’ve rusted out by then if it sat outside in the rain most of its life like this primo.

My buddy had a medium BGE and his property pretty much got leveled by a tornado. We found the ceramic base portion to his BGE about 50’ away from its original spot fully intact. Somehow the lid and metal nest/base were gone... but what was left was not broken.I know it’s odd but apparently these ceramic grills are a little more durable than some realize if they are cared for properly :)

Disclaimer- I did buy a generic Kamado (bayou classic??)Lowe’s special about 10 years ago and it started cracking a few cooks in. This was obviously a flaw in the firing process not ceramics in general

I would go with the Kamado Joe Big Joe. I loved my KJ and regret selling it. It can do two zone cooking like a champ, I never had an issue with it.

Another vote for the summit. Since I’ve got it I’ve completely stopped using my Yoder and my gasser. The summit is just so easy and fun to cook with.

I had a primo oval xl for 8 years and liked it a lot. Went different directions with different grills and recently picked up a weber summit kamado...it is very good. Easy to move, easy to bring temp down if you overshoot it, won’t break, no firebox to crack etc. I don’t bbq with it as I only use for direct grilling and two zone grilling and some reverse sears. Not the biggest fan of bbq off a ceramic (dirty to me...much prefer a stick burner). I’d buy it again over any ceramic kamado and I like it much, much better than my weber performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Big Joe, love it. If you don't want to spend that much, check out the new Kamado Kettle cooker. Similar to a Weber with a ceramic insert. I think there are a few threads on here about it.

I currently have several green eggs, and a summit kamado. I have had kamado joes, and a bubba keg as well. I consider the bubba keg the early erratic version of the summit kamado. I much prefer the eggs over the kamado joes, and have sold them off. The ceramic was not as good, and neither was the glaze. Their "innovations" only caused the KJs to be much more expensive than the green counterpart. My .02

One of the greatest things about Boy Scouts was teaching us that with waterproof matches (Diamond Blue Box dipped in candle wax in their own chain lid metal container) a camp shovel, a hole in the ground with gathered wood and some meat and a knife we ate pretty dang well during camp trips. Mixed water batter biscuits wrapped in foil tossed at fires edge.

ATTST- $2500 is a helluva budget and a long way from cooking in a hole in the ground. So to answer your question which Kamado would I buy? Lowe’s has the Kamado Joe Big Joe assembled and delivered 1200. I’m a former BGE and Current Primo Oval XL owner. If made to go buy a Kamado I’d go to Lowe’s and get the Big Joe.

However, if a tornado or gorilla hail event (we’re overdue) destroyed all my Cookers and Insurance gave me 2500 here’s what I’d buy

Old Country Offset 399
Oklahoma Joe Bronco 299
Oklahoma Joe Pellet 399

Buy some meat and give the remaining 1400 cash to the Bride for new ruby red slippers

Last edited:
I currently have several green eggs, and a summit kamado. I have had kamado joes, and a bubba keg as well. I consider the bubba keg the early erratic version of the summit kamado. I much prefer the eggs over the kamado joes, and have sold them off. The ceramic was not as good, and neither was the glaze. Their "innovations" only caused the KJs to be much more expensive than the green counterpart. My .02

Not sure what you're on about, but BGE almost always comes out more expensive in the end because the nickle & dime you for all the accessories that should come with a grill like a grill stand.

KJ Big Joe @ Home Depot $1200 includes stand & divide & conquer system.

BGE XL (without the nest/stand) @ Ace $1300

BGE XL Nest stand @ Ace $199

BGE XL Deflector plate @ Ace $117

BGE XL Nest Package @ BGE $1,679.

Not sure what you're on about, but BGE almost always comes out more expensive in the end because the nickle & dime you for all the accessories that should come with a grill like a grill stand.

KJ Big Joe @ Home Depot $1200 includes stand & divide & conquer system.

BGE XL (without the nest/stand) @ Ace $1300

BGE XL Nest stand @ Ace $199

BGE XL Deflector plate @ Ace $117

BGE XL Nest Package @ BGE $1,679.

Depending on where you live you have a good chance to find a Eggfest that will have them on sale. You should be able to find a XL with nest, plate setter, and a few other accessories for under 1K. With the extra 2-3 hundreds dollars you save you can pick up an Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store and you'll have a better setup than any stock ceramic cooker has to offer. My two anyways...

Yeah, from my digging it seems the BGE and Primo have a ceramic quality that is a step beyond KJ and the other Chinese products. Makes sense given the former is built in Mexico and the latter in Georgia/Missouri. What would you say are the pros/cons of the Weber Summit vice the BGE or a Primo?

Another vote for the summit. Have had it since it first came out and I feel like it is finally starting to get the recognition it deserves.
Have you had an ceramic kamados to compare it to, and why specifically would you recommend it over a ceramic?

I'm not too worried about the durability of a ceramic kamado, a Weber can rust out and the interior of a ceramic grill should be much more durable and able to withstand higher temps. Unless somebody tips over a ~400lb grill I don't have to worry because Primo, BGE, and KJ all have lifetime warranties on the ceramic if it cracks due to normal operation like heating and cooling.

I made some amazing food on my Weber kettle, but it was fuel inefficient and I always seemed to have the grill too hot or too cool, the sweet spot was too short lived and you'd need skills I lack or a slow 'n sear to do proper dual zone cooking. I plan on keeping a kettle forever though!

Do y'all have tips on the best time to buy, i.e. Memorial day weekend, father's day, July 4th weekend, etc? Thanks again guys.

I'm very happy with the Primo-XL. Its the most versatile cooker I have. I use 2 zone in it constantly. If someone came to me and said every one of your outdoor cookers must go except one. The Primo would be the last man standing.

I bought the XL-400, cart with stainless steel shelves, cast iron divider, indirect plates, racks for indirect plates and a cover and was right at $2200

A bit of self correction. I forgot the KJ Big Joe II & III are different prices. I see what the previous user was mentioning about price. If you're buying a Big Joe II the pricing works out in favor of Kamado. If you're buying a Big Joe III the pricing works out in favor of BGE.

Think the Big Joe III is MSRP $2k or so.

Back