Which Firebox to Use ?

Hog-O-Holic

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Hi all...just finishing up my offset 55 gallon barrel smoker... I am lackingunds so I have two choices of fireboxes from 2 old smokers that I have... a cylinder shape from an old Brinkman Smoke N Pit and a square one from a NB Bandera....I cannot figure out which one to use ... Ihave a 4 inch diameter 36inch in length smokestack (27 in. of it sticks out of the barrel)....I have stuffed another barrel inside of it to make it thicker..I have other mods that I will be making later but I can't decide which shape of firebox to use that would be the best...PLEASE GIVE ME ANY THOUGHTS THAT YOU ALL MIGHT HAVE...PLEASE!!! ..Thanks

go with the square bandera one, and put on a new flat top of heavier steel.

I like the flat one. It is handy to be able to cook things, heat up your finishing sauce and even preheating your wood before you add it. I hate not having that with a round firebox.

Phil, how much of a difference did that custom lid make on your scout bandera? And, could you achieve the same results by welding a sheet onto the bottom of the stock lid?

What is "lackingunds"? Is that Nordic for something...?

Ah yes...that makes much more sense. I can relate...:sad:

Phil, how much of a difference did that custom lid make on your scout bandera? And, could you achieve the same results by welding a sheet onto the bottom of the stock lid?

it made a huge difference. I think it was a combination of the mass of steel and the fact that it gets the heat directly into the chamber. Im not sure if a thin sheet will work as well though. I think if you weld a heavy sheet inside it would work, but why not just cut off the gable and weld it across the top.??

Back