Which Chicken would you rather eat and why?

What he will tell us next is that #1 was a 1st place and #2 was a first place and #3 was cooked by the mail man next door on his gas grill:) funny stuff

What he will tell us next is that #1 was a 1st place and #2 was a first place and #3 was cooked by the mail man next door on his gas grill:) funny stuff

Neither one were first place. They were both top ten. But I'm more concerned about the appearance scores not he overall scores. It seems more judges these days are looking for a piece of artwork rather than delicious BBQ. Maybe #1 looks good to them but honestly, #1 does not make me want to reach out and grab a piece. And by most of your responses I would say you all agree. Yet the judges thought it looked pretty good.

I just thought this was interesting and wanted to throw it out there.

BTW...#3 was cooked by me on the egg.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66504

Cheers,
Nate

#1 looks un-appealing, and looks like donuts at first glance.
#2 Looks the best, thin sauce, and probably can taste the chicken
#3 looks like it'll get gummed upon my lips and teeth and be a mess to eat, and could only taste sauceanyway.

#2 for me also. #1, good presentation (IMHO) just too light (personal preference).

Pic 1 too man-made looking. Looks like a McD's version, if McD's made thighs.
Pic 2 looks a little dark but to me the most appetizing.
Pic 3 looks a little heavy on sauce in some places. Least appealing to me.
But I am a rookie just learning the Comp quality presentation.

All look good but #2 looks the best to me. If the bottom 2 pieces in the picture were closer in size and shape to the top 4 pieces you would have a perfect appearance box to me!

I would take #2. #3 looks good also. I would hate to know how much time it took to make #1 look like that!! Very interesting.

Appearance Scores

100% CBJ

??% CBJ

I agree. #1 does not look as appetizing. Do you think judges are subconsciously looking for symmetry rather than something that looks appetizing? I'm thinking this is what pushed me to make my chicken look like this.

Scores speak for themselves!

#2 Definitely

#3 Looks like something my BIL would do on his gas grill, edible with beer

#1 At first I thought that was a Hostess Sno Ball

3548248098_759e949d1a.jpg

#3 looks like food to me, the other two look like they are fussed and fiddled with. I don't much find the uniform color all that enticing either. Of course, I neither judge or compete.

I looked at them and made the post before reading others and I would pick #2 because

a) it looked like smoked chicken
b) it has a nice color

If you put down #1 in front of someone who didn't know the category, do you think they would immediately know it was chicken? As for #3, it looks good, but it could have been boiled chicken with a lot of sauce added.

Just my thoughts.............

Back