"Whether you like it or not"

In all fairness, the comment about "whether you like it or not" has been taken out of context here and spun a little. He was saying that the thing is growing wildly and we are all just along for the ride at this point, and I believe that to be true.

I am a little concerned about the general direction and I believe there are some board members that are steering it that way. It's not all MMA. Are you guys aware that two cooks are also under contract with MMA? And one of them is a BOD member? You'll have to PM me for the names.
Also in fairness I took the comment the same way Doc did.

I have a feeling i can guess one and i am not guessing Rod.

In all fairness, the comment about "whether you like it or not" has been taken out of context here and spun a little. He was saying that the thing is growing wildly and we are all just along for the ride at this point, and I believe that to be true.

I am a little concerned about the general direction and I believe there are some board members that are steering it that way. It's not all MMA. Are you guys aware that two cooks are also under contract with MMA? And one of them is a BOD member? You'll have to PM me for the names.

That would not surprise me at all Ray. I truly believe that we need Dislcosure Statements from the Board and MMA. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that is why MMA was given this task. So the only one's to benefit will be certain Board members and not the membership?

We as members need to know this, as it can change our opinions drastically. We need Dislosure Statements.

Scottie

That would not surprise me at all Ray. I truly believe that we need Dislcosure Statements from the Board and MMA. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that is why MMA was given this task. So the only one's to benefit will be certain Board members and not the membership?

We as members need to know this, as it can change our opinions drastically. We need Dislosure Statements.

Scottie

Also in fairness I took the comment the same way Doc did.

I have a feeling i can guess one and i am not guessing Rod.

I used to work for a guy who would say "lack of information creates rumor and innuendo". Its true.

Think you can find that"other cook" on thier site if you look hard enough.
It appears that Mike Davis has hired MMA to promote him for corporate catering events. As Mike is not on the BOD I say way to go Mike. I hope you teach 10 classes a year and cook 20 corporate parties a year because that means you won't be beating us up every week. :biggrin: This is meant as humor but if Mike can make cash out of it I think it's great. And if any non BOD member does the same thing I say great for them.

Wow. There seems to be a conflict of interest issue here. I certainly hope that is not the case.

I was not able to be at the banquet but thanks a lot Jeff for passing all of this information along. It definitely opens ones eyes to what's going on with KCBS. I have been uneasy about MMA since the beginning but need to sit and watch this all play out. I hope we can all stay together and stand when the road gets bumpy.

I'll be honest, We don't let the politics bother us too much. All we want to do is cook at contests. To us the KCBS is just a sanctioning board. We will never win "Team of the Year" because we don't cook enough contests. We don't care about the extra $25 for non members because we are members. I could go on and on. The candidates I voted for didn't win but I am not going to cry over spilt milk. We just want to have fun, enjoy the comradrie and the joy of cooking BBQ at a contest. Maybe we win a little dinaro along the way also. We are not very good at politics so just let us cook.

They made reference at the banquet that Mike Davis has contracted with MMA. So that's no secret. Now a board member doing so... wonder why THAT wasn't disclosed as well. This is all very fishy. I think Todd is right when he says "lack of information creates rumor and innuendo". Let's fully disclose what's going on here.

I'll be honest, We don't let the politics bother us too much. All we want to do is cook at contests. To us the KCBS is just a sanctioning board. We will never win "Team of the Year" because we don't cook enough contests. We don't care about the extra $25 for non members because we are members. I could go on and on. The candidates I voted for didn't win but I am not going to cry over spilt milk. We just want to have fun, enjoy the comradrie and the joy of cooking BBQ at a contest. Maybe we win a little dinaro along the way also. We are not very good at politics so just let us cook.

Guy, I think this is probably going to be the feeling of most members but my fear is things changing to the point where we can't just cook a contest and go home content. I'm afraid that all the thousands of us little guys are going to be funding the KCBS so the big guys can do the cooking and we're in some sort of "minor league" so to speak. That division thing they came up with last year now seems to loom larger and more significant if you ask me.

Guy, I think this is probably going to be the feeling of most members but my fear is things changing to the point where we can't just cook a contest and go home content. I'm afraid that all the thousands of us little guys are going to be funding the KCBS so the big guys can do the cooking and we're in some sort of "minor league" so to speak. That division thing they came up with last year now seems to loom larger and more significant if you ask me.

I'm okay with Minor League status. That may be a way to satisfy folks on two ends of the spectrum: Money vs. Fun (or maybe Big Guys vs. Little Guys). I don't have a problem with either primary focus as long as it can be balanced in some way. A Pro and Minor league system could be fine... as long as it isn't like Busch Series and Nextel Cup where the same drivers are driving both races. That would be a joke.

I'm a really little guy, teamwise, quite the opposite physically speaking. I think in every endeavour you will have David and Goliath. I shot trap and skeet competitively for years. Was I ever good enough to beat Leo Harrison, nope. Was I smart enough to pick events that he didn't frequent, you bet, if I wanted to take money home. Same with BBQ. If I want to win money and trophy's, I'd better not plan on winning the Royal with only 4 or 5 contests a year as a warm up. The guys who can figure out a way to cook 20 contests a year deserve that advantage.

That having been said, TOY is totally different. I think it should be based on a handicap system, with a minimum number of contests to qualify. We made it on the TOY list for ribs with only 4 contests. I don't think if you cook less than 5 or 6 you should be eligible, as TOY should inlude a factor for yor committment to 'Q.

Sure would hate to see KCBS lose it's "grass roots" feeling. NASCAR was mentioned. I was a huge fan until it became the mega-marketing machine that it is.

Im just here for the beer. I also want to make friends and beat them at every contest.

Is that really too much to ask for?

And the plot thickens..............

Very interesting statements and information. I am not a member of KCBS but I read this forum just about everyday. I do agree with much of what has been written based on life's experiences. Therefore I would say if they do not tell you something, it is something they do not want you to know. A successful ad agency is all about making money, I doubt they are about gratis. Therefore I would like to see the contract (if I were a member) to know what they are planning to do to earn that money. Is there a cap on the amount of money they can earn? What services will be rendered and at what price? I do believe but might be wrong..that, as a non-profit group, members of this group and not just officers or BOD members are entitled to see these figures. Before inuendos are posted, I would definitely find out what is in the contract. But it's still great that we are all entitled to our opinion. It makes for great reading and ....inuendos!

Good luck on getting to the bottom of this thing and remember, KCBS isn't the only show in town, IBCA is the second largest sanctioning body in the US and we grow every year.

Some very enlightening info and comments in this thread...

I was a paid, voting member of KCBS...but dropped out couple of years back....I Never saw a financial report of where My membership fees were being spent..?

Now as a member of TCGBCA, I hear a treasurers report at each meeting...and posted in the minutes from the meetings..Wow

Now I love the folks at IBCA but it seems to me there have been a few fights there over the years too. Didn't a whole faction split off recently?

Yes Ray, will always differences..:-D

The Houston area had, at that time, one of the largest group of members..

And broke off for more local leadership...all is good though...I'm just a cook, and will cook anywhere, and everwhere...addicted to that smell of smoke!!:-D

Well, we're pretty small time and not only did Timmy and I do a double take when the MMA finished his presentation, so did our other table companions, including 2 BOD candidates that did not win.

I don't fault MMA. They take their lead from the BOD. Everyone knows that there are different levels of competition - Dr. BBQ, Byron C, the Triggs, Mike Davis and a few others operate in a different world than we weekenders with meat bought at Sam's Club and a 12 pack in the cooler. Maybe those guys will walk away from the banquet with a big check next year, and if they do, bravo! There probably isn't a one of us that doesn't own one of their books (thanks Dr. BBQ!) and have benefitted from their expertise. BBQ2? We'll walk away with a belly full of mediocre food and God willing, some free contest entries. My greatest fear is not the commercialization of KCBS, it's that the costs for competing will become so prohibitive that we won't be able to play anymore.

With a two-person team and 2 full time jobs we have no illusions of being TOY. We'd kill ourselves and go broke trying to do 20 contests. Right now we're proud and happy to do 8-10 and maybe -- maybe, get a chance to win a Grand championship and compete in the Royal Invitational. Hell, since we're the last team to roll in in every single contest we do, we're pleased as heck to get the calls we've gotten.

I hope that people will keep an open mind about the work MMA is doing. I too have an ad agency background and I am sure they are doing exactly what the KCBS Board has asked them to do. But I also hope that those on the Board will make sure that the flavor, history and spirit of KCBS remains and that competition BBQ remains FUN and accessible to the thousands of teams it attracts. Check egos and "delusions" of granduer at the door and make sure there's room for everyone - that's all we ask.

Hey everybody!

First of all, thank you for your support in the recent election. Somebody said my re-election was a "given." Believe when I say it wasn't and I never felt that way.

So, on to the point. I am not, and will not be represented by MMA Creative. That would be a serious conflict of interest with my position as a volunteer board member for the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

Rod

P.S. - I don't have any e-mail from you Vinny.

I have learned today that the KCBS BOD member that I claimed was under contract with MMA is not. I apologize for spreading false info. They have done some business together in the past for which MMA was paid but there is no contract.
Frankly, I still think consider it a conflict of interest but it's only fair to clear it up.

I have learned today that the KCBS BOD member that I claimed was under contract with MMA is not. I apologize for spreading false info. They have done some business together in the past for which MMA was paid but there is no contract.
Frankly, I still think consider it a conflict of interest but it's only fair to clear it up.

Thanks for the clarification, I tend to agree; lets hope for better judgement in the future.

Back