Where buy leg quarters?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
I see these pics of people cooking dozens of leg quarters for parties that look great. I have a party coming up but I cannot seem to find leg quarters anywhere. Whole chickens, yes. Wings, yes. Thighs, drums and breasts, sure. But not whole leg quarters. Any tips? Am in Chicago area.

Have you asked for them where you normally buy meat? Any place that sells the legs and thighs can get the quarters, may have them in the back waiting to be processed.

They are everywhere around here. Normally come frozen in 10lb bags. They are generally poor quality. I would ask your butcher or meat man at your grocery store, if they have them, or can order. Most can and will. For what it is worth, even when I buy leg quarters, I prefer to separate the leg and thigh before cooking. The poorer quality ones, still have part of the back on, I like to remove them too. I think the fat renders better, and you get a more even cook, and makes it easier to eat.

not sure exactly where you are but in Chicago proper, leg quarters are everywhere. In the past couple years I've paid anywhere from $0.29 a pound to $0.59 a pound. Just picked some up this morning for .49 a pound. Try Jewels, while not that inexpensive they should have them.
Quality is usually not an issue but sometimes they have these huge dinner plate size leg quarters that are dry and tough. I'm assuming they've been refrozen too many times, nasty.

Do you have Hy-Vee in your area? Usually they carry 10# bags of them for .50C's a pound in my town.

I love leg Qs. I like to flip them over trim all excess skin and fat and remove the hip bone and preserve the oyster nugget. Hips get boiled for stock. Although I can get good price for those 10# bags, you have to watch for poor quality with snapped bones and bloody black meat. Regular family packs are easier to inspect for size and black meat.

Back