THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice cooler.... and pretty good looking beef!

I'd be over in a minute if I was closer. Never butchered a beef but have several deer and Elk. Sharp knives, and as said follow the muscle / fat.

A band saw would be a great toll here. Been on my list but just don't have the space / real need (Except once in awhile)

I'm sure you will do fine - The grinder cleans up anything you need.

I do have a band saw for meat but it's not very big. You be assured of some mystery cuts!

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm just a city boy.

So just to get this straight in my head....

We grow our meat here in the city from seed. Usually, we sprinkle a few seeds into a cryovac bag, add a little red water for color, put them in the refridgerator case at the store and a few days later we harvest the meat.

It looks to me, from the way I piece your pictures together, that you took that big black dog, put him into your truck, drove him to the General Store's weigh station, then exchanged him for seed in which you skipped the cryovac and grew the meat directly in your fridge?

Is that what dry aging is?

I think I have it, I'm just trying to close out the loose ends in my thinking.

I started breaking down the dino ribs area this afternoon after I got off work.

i-GZNXnjm-XL.jpg

The diaphragm muscle is on the inside and is called skirt steak. I don't do a lot of trimming at this point. With it just being me I don't have time so I'll freeze and then trim before cooking.

i-zjQkS3x-XL.jpg

Cut the very top off and what you have left is what's called dino bones. I've never been able to get a butcher to do this for me. Too much work so they just trim the meat off and grind.

Figured this would be the best size, most are cut shorter than mine but what the heck I can do what I want.

i-tVpCZvz-XL.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how big the steer was here's the heart. I just froze it whole, will trim and cut in half later.

i-kHmsFvK-XL.jpg

Here's one of the briskets. The pic doesn't do it justice this thing was huge.

i-Tp8fKVv-XL.jpg

I got about 20#'s of trim to grind also out of the one section. Big difference if you are doing it yourself. A butcher just doesn't have the time to spend getting everything you can. I've got the leaf fat ready to render down for next week.

I'm heading to the US Open in NYC for the weekend and will start again when I get home on Monday. I'll try to take pictures of the process if folks are interested.

lol Bill!

Take a couple of days or three and visit my farm!

Seriously though from late September until late November you can get a bit of farm life in, we love to have company. Breaks up the monotony of 14 hour days, erverybody else is welcome also.

lol Bill!

Seriously though from late September until late November you can get a bit of farm life in, we love to have company. Breaks up the monotony of 14 hour days, erverybody else is welcome also.

Brother count on it. One day soon. We missed each other in the D.R. and that sucks but perhaps after these storms they could not handle two brethern in the same area at the same time!
The breakdown of the beef looks fantastic!
Have fun at the Open. Sorry to say but Jimmy Connors won't be making a run of it. Nor will OJ. What a great year!

lol Bill!

I would love too!

But keep in mind I am old (51) and you do more by noon than I do in a week.

I'm a desk jockey, finance guy.

But I can staple and file like its nobody's business.....

Seriously Norm, I love your posts, and I appreciate the american farmer and all he has to deal with (labor, tariffs, dumping, etc)

I'm not ignorant to the ways of the world, but I act like such to sometimes get a laugh out of you all.

Thank you for keeping the American dream alive

Heck I understand Bill, we both have jobs to do. Mine is no more important than yours is, the folks behind the curtain are what makes the world work.

Thanks!

Back