When life gives you lemons, cook pork instead (w/pron)

BoLiles

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bo
Long and difficult few weeks at work and new dad duty at home, then a friend asked for a small cook for the holiday weekend - the PGA golf tour is in town for the Colonial tournament, needless to say, he's a fan. So, a little pork for him as he heads to and from the tourney.

First off, I have never been a charcoal snob - various lump, a lot of KBB over the years, recently I endured a bad bag of RO Lump...then I tried Stubbs last night. Game over, there is my charcoal, at least for briquettes. Burned hotter and longer than anything I've tried. Applewood was added every hour till the stall.

He didn't need more than 3 or so lbs of product, and he was paying for it so I went with two small boneless butts - which I don't do normally. I was a day early before the sales, because the only bone-in butts I saw were expensive and enhanced. Basically the store I got these all natural chunks from seemed to have boned out a 7 lb shoulder in hopes to sell as two roasts. Well, it was on sale with a few use by days to go.

1 lb of trim off a total raw weight of 6 lb, dry brined overnight, seasoned up and tied (some nasty silverskin in some of the seams) on the ECB with a mini water pan on the lower grate. Now, on to the pron:

Pretty easy cook - 5 hours at 300 avg. Tender but not mushy. 2 hour rest before pulling and panning to chill overnight before delivery.

Back