When gas hits $5.00 a gallon :(

Absolutely true, but the vehicles over there get significantly higher gas mileage than over here. We have lots of regulations that make our cars safe and non-polluting, but in addition have a tremendous cost on energy. I have a European-made car that gets approximately 60mpg in Europe, but once outfitted with required anti-pollution devices only gets about 45mpg here -- the really sad part is because it now burns more fuel it actually pollutes more. I have a good friend in Spain whose minivan gets over 40mpg. That same minivan model in the USA outfitted with required devices gets only 20mpg. Yes, the cost of gas per gallon is significantly higher in Europe, but the cost per mile is not. -- sorry to continue the hijack, but these regulations are crazy and the air is not THAT much more polluted in Europe than in the USA. :redface:

Now take that and factor in that my imported Chevy Astro ( California via Japan) has all the smog gear added on. I'm also running on LPG but not until the temp gauge reaches operating temps.

There are not a lot of comps over here but it is a concern, most of the fuel waste is because of the road layout with all the start and stop plus the roundabouts don't help.

My plan was to do 12 competitions this year and I wanted to do some outside the state of Texas as most here are IBCA or a similar organization, where no feedback is given as to how you actually did other than your place. So that's the bad news.

The good news is, as mentioned earlier, on any given weekend, there are 3-4 competitions within a short driving distance. So, I think I can still hit 12, they just may not be some of the ones I had in mind.

Hey, the gas gauge on the motor home moves down slowly, so it's just like driving a SmartCar. :becky: Just will try not think about the fact that it's an 80 gallon tank and getting 8mpg.

I don't think we will cut back on contests though, it's just another expense in an already expensive hobby.

This same question was asked when it got 1buck a gal. Also my pap always said he would stop smoking when cigs got to 30 cents a pak.

This same question was asked when it got 1buck a gal. Also my pap always said he would stop smoking when cigs got to 30 cents a pak.
Last time I saw that was in the 70's, in the Navy, and at Great Lakes... lol.. 25 cents a pack back then without all of the local taxes! I think now they are between $6.00-$7.00 in Chicago.... Glad I quit them... Now if I could only give up the cigars....

I was at Great Lakes 1971=72

I was there in 1976. Got out of boot camp the same day Daley died.

I seem to remember it was about 10 bucks per carton in the late 70's in the Navy Exchange in HI and Guam. And remember buying them as a kid for my grandmother and brother when I was 10 or so for like 24 cents a pack!

I'm glad I quit that habit 5 or 6 years ago!

We only do a handful of comps anyway, 6 the past 2 years, 4 the year before that. Our comps come from what is essentially our vacation budget. By the time I take those days off, there's not many left for anything else, so I don't think we'll change much

Back