When and what do you cook on your offset

edapp

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Ed
Like many of you, I have multiple cookers to choose from on any given day. One that I do not have is an offset stick burner. I enjoy building a fire, I enjoy the experience of more involved cooking processes, and I enjoy drinking beer... so it seems like a good fit for me!

However, I do not want to purchase a large, heavy smoker that I will find doesn't suit our "menu" at home. So what do you cook on your offset? If we don't eat brisket, pulled pork or ribs every week, so am I going to find that an offset isn't a good fit for my family?

I am looking for a better sense of the versatility of these cookers, as the experience of cooking on them seems like a joy. Something like reverse searing some steaks over the cowboy grill on an offset seems like a great use that might not be obvious to someone like me.

So what do you like to cook on yours beyond just traditional BBQ items?

Last edited:
Anything that you'd cook using an "indirect cooking method" on a grill or other kind of smoker should be great on an offset stick burner. You can always run them at higher temps too. The reverse sear part like you mentioned would be nice too. I used to reverse sear big ol cowboy ribeyes on my Shirley then sear finish on another grill. The flavor from the wood fire can't be replicated :thumb:

Plenty of things you could cook in an offset that is not "traditional barbecue" - rack of pork, roasts, etc.

Thanks Suds. As a way to refine the question some...

Do you feel limited cooking with a single "zone" of indirect heat? On all my current cookers I have both zones available, and usually use both during a cook. Beyond the smoke flavor, do you a satisfactory texture on chicken for example without any direct heat?

I mean short of a cooking grate over the firebox like you'd mentioned, that does sort of make them a "one trick pony" - that's not to say you can't adjust your cooking method and cook at a higher temp indirect and still have satisfactory results, you'd just be doing so without the aid of direct heat.

I cooked many many chickens on my Shirley and the skin always came out great, no need to cook direct, just have to find the right spot in the cooker or have the cook chamber at the right temp (>300*, IMO).

Not a direct answer to the OP's question, but when I fire up the offset (a COS) I fill it up. I then vacuum seal and freeze the excess. A bunch of extra fatties. Extra CSR's for a pot of beans or chili when the urge hits me. Even if I only fire it up once a month it is well worth it.

As to chicken, I love smoked chicken (or turkey) off the COS but the skin is forfeit, always comes out like rubber, I cook at 250-275 F.

I reverse seared a 22 oz ribeye on my Brazos yesterday evening, live fire sear is hard to beat.

Versatility is key

I think you are a great candidate for the offset that I have. A Lone Star Grillz (LSG) 20" offset is super versatile. I use it all the time for reverse searing steaks. Nothing like finishing over a live fire!:mrgreen:

When I need more of a set it and forget it cook I go with my Big Green Egg.

I think an offset with a removable charcoal grate in the cook chamber and a cooking grate over the firebox is what I am looking for. Charcoal pipe grill, offset stick burner, searing machine all in one. Do many of the semi-custom pit builders (LSG and the like) offer that as an option? I love the look of the Workhorse pits, especially with the size of the firebox, and sent them a message asking if they could add a charcoal grate.

You can get a charcoal grate for the Lone Star Grillz 20 inch smoker. That is what pushed me to order one; since we don’t eat brisket every week.

You can use whatever you have to cook anything you wish to cook, specialized tools just make it easier and more efficient.

If you hafta pull a wheel off your pickup at the house would you use the lug wrench that came with the truck or would you go into the garage and grab an impact wrench?

I am not sure if I follow Cpt...

I am thinking about buying a new cooker, but it wouldn't be for efficiencies sake.

I think my question is: I rotate my tires every six months. I am thinking about buying an impact wrench to make it more enjoyable. If I buy one, what else can I use it for?

back when I had one (was a cheap one that finally rusted beyond my ability to repair after 20 years of use and weather) I would attempt to cook about anything on it. Mind you, this is attempt, not succeed...
Over time (and with work schedules cutting down on available hours) I would only use it on long weekends and make sure it was full to keep the time and effort worth my while. Then, as stated above, vacuum bags and deep freezer for meals later.
Don't get me wrong, I loved it, just wasn't worth the headaches for a single slab of ribs as we became empty nesters...

back when I had one (was a cheap one that finally rusted beyond my ability to repair after 20 years of use and weather) I would attempt to cook about anything on it. Mind you, this is attempt, not succeed...
Over time (and with work schedules cutting down on available hours) I would only use it on long weekends and make sure it was full to keep the time and effort worth my while. Then, as stated above, vacuum bags and deep freezer for meals later.
Don't get me wrong, I loved it, just wasn't worth the headaches for a single slab of ribs as we became empty nesters...

I am not planning on getting rid of my gas, pellet or charcoal grills. I will always have something in place for those weeknight cooks, 100 degree days, and times when we just have to get it done. I am interested in having something on the porch I can cook on when I am relaxing, the weather is nice, spending the day at home.

I think having the ability to cook charcoal on it would make me feel better about it taking up space on the patio, get more use out of it. Those engelbrecht grills sure look like a nice combo.

I have a few cookers but I want an offset. I doubt I’ll use it weekly but I want it for those days I have the extra time to enjoy the cook and or I need the extra capacity if we are doing a get together. I look at it as another tool in the box. Can’t beat the flavor but you gotta put in the work. Sometimes that’s cool, sometimes not. I’m also considering LSG but not until our backyard renovation is done. For now I play with my kamado and drum...

I have a few cookers but I want an offset. I doubt I’ll use it weekly but I want it for those days I have the extra time to enjoy the cook and or I need the extra capacity if we are doing a get together. I look at it as another tool in the box. Can’t beat the flavor but you gotta put in the work. Sometimes that’s cool, sometimes not. I’m also considering LSG but not until our backyard renovation is done. For now I play with my kamado and drum...

Are you me?!?

I am about a month out from starting our patio/porch renovation. It will be covered and screened in, but have a high vaulted ceiling (15'). Going to wait until it is finished to see how smoke will act in the room... but I would love to fit an offset in here. Will have a fireplace and other cookers in there, but will need to pair down to probably two cookers to lease space for other things. Would be a great place to spend a day tending the fires.

This will not fully answer your question, but you could have an offset, and find a charcoal pan to stick in the bottom of the cooking chamber to grill if you wanted to. My old stick burner was pretty much only for "regular" Q items. Rverything else was doable on the other cookers. However, you could just run a lower temperature in your charcoal cookers and relax close by without having to make an extra purchase.

There are other similar options, but this is an example of multiple use. I am waiting to have a permanent place and saving up for a Johnson Custom Vertical Smoker (the picture) in the future and the reason is because it is a vertical (my favorite) stick burner, takes up less space than an offset, and the tray in the bottom is usable as a charcoal pan for grilling also.

Last edited:
Not a direct answer to the OP's question, but when I fire up the offset (a COS) I fill it up. I then vacuum seal and freeze the excess. A bunch of extra fatties. Extra CSR's for a pot of beans or chili when the urge hits me. Even if I only fire it up once a month it is well worth it.

As to chicken, I love smoked chicken (or turkey) off the COS but the skin is forfeit, always comes out like rubber, I cook at 250-275 F.

Same here......If I fire up the stick burner I am going to cook at least 4 racks or ribs or ribs and butts. Brisket always has something cooked with it too. then you just vacuum seal and use it whenever you need it.

Workhorse replied that they do not offer any customization on their orders. Does anyone else know of a good quality, small offset with the features we have talked about (sear over firebox, charcoal grate in cook chamber) other than LSG? I have nothing against LSG, just want to check out all my options.

I prefer the workhorse style firebox, looks like it would be a lot easier to cook on and manipulate food. I know a few people that could probably add a charcoal grate for me..

Back