What's your move on steak?

SNIP: from Gore,
"Also, if you want a steak cooked uniformly, then take it out of the fridge an hour or so before cooking and let it come to temp on the counter. If you want it red and cold in the middle, then cook it directly out of the fridge. There is no right or wrong, only your personal preference."
Completely agree with Gore here. Room temp before hitting the grate for uniform cooking. I also salt fairly heavily with Kosher salt while it is coming up to temp.
Of course, as Mr. Gore said, it is a matter of personal pref. I have friends who prefer the cold center, and I oblige.

Montreal Steak rub or Oak Ridge Santa Maria. Sometimes just SPG.

Set up the grill with a banked, 2 zone fire. Pile the coals up as close to the grate as possible on the hot side. Oil the grill a minute or so before putting the meat on.

Direct, high heat sear for a couple minutes, rotating 90 degrees half way through for each side.

Then finish indirect with the lid on and one or two hickory chips for a few minutes.

I feel this is easier, and gives better control than the reverse sear. I have trouble getting the high heat for a good sear if the lid has already been on for the first part of the cook.

On a HB here too, with HB lump. SPOG let it come to room temp. Put on Grill Grates with fire tray cranked to just below the grease rod. Rotate at 45 seconds, flip after 45 more, repeat on opposite side, pull at 135*.

ETA: this is on a boneless ribeye about 1" thick.

I like to marinade steak in a bourbon mixture or pineapple and jerk spices. I keep the seasonings simple, just some sea salt and cracked black pepper. I usually sear the meat first, then finish over indirect heat.

I have started using a cast-iron griddle in my grill at high heat. I find that I enjoy the crust from the cast-iron more than the char from direct flame.

I usually sear the hell out of both sides and then move over to the indirect side to finish it.
This works well for thick steaks.

I also like to add a little butter at the end when resting.

Seasoning is usually S&P, olive oil, and garlic powder. EVOO goes on both sides and then sprinkle both sides.

Regardless of how long, flips, rotations, seasonings, direct, reverse seat etc (I do em all depending on my mood) I ALWAYS cook to one level less than I desire, remove from grill and wrap the steak(s) in foil and let them rest Undisturbed for 7-10 minutes. Juicy juicy perfect steaks every time.
My steaks are set out at room temp 1-1.5 hours and seasoned.

Last edited:
I try to never cook a steak less than 1.5 inches thick.For that I salt,sear hot (400 - 500 f plus)around 180 seconds per side,rotating(not turning) at the 90 second point to get the checkerboard grill marks,remove from heat to rest a while,then season and roast at a lower temp (350 dome)til desired doneness.For thinner steaks,I adapt.

Pat steaks dry, lightly oil them, and coat liberally with kosher salt. No other spices required for a ribeye.

I like to flip my steaks at least 3 times. I usually divide my anticipated cook time (based on thickness) by 4 and flip 3 times. Example: for a 8 minute anticipated steak I would do 2min between flips.

I try to never cook a steak less than 1.5 inches thick.For that I salt,sear hot (400 - 500 f plus)around 180 seconds per side,rotating(not turning) at the 90 second point to get the checkerboard grill marks,remove from heat to rest a while,then season and roast at a lower temp (350 dome)til desired doneness.For thinner steaks,I adapt.

I do a similar process. I will sear the steak on both sides to get the "sear look" I want, then indirect until it reaches my target internal temp. I also do not usually cook steaks less than 1.5 inches thick. Try to get them around 2 inches if possible. ( more meat, more for me to eat!:loco: )

All this talk about steaks has my salivary glands working overtime. Time to call the bank and float a 90 day loan!!

Blessings,

Omar

Back