What's up with the complaining?

I had an opportunity this past year to witness a competition go from a smaller mostly local non-sanctioned barbecue competition to a sanctioned competition. While the draw was still fairly small by most standards (the 12+- original teams plus another 15+- teams that follow the sanctioning body), not one single team of the original made the top 5 in any category other than one of the ancillaries, and if I recall correctly it was only 1 of the 12+- original teams that cracked the top 10. I remember talking with the organizer a few years back and while she and the teams wanted it to be sanctioned, she was worried that they'd lose their teams and subsequently lose the local "charm". We'll have to see where next year takes them.

They also went from only about 50% of the judges being certified in a sanctioning body to 100% CBJ's this time.

That's an interesting thought, travel teams know what Certified Barbeque Judges are expecting and cook for that appearance, texture and taste profile. It's almost a standardization of our product. I'm not convinced that is necessarily a good thing. It's nice to improve your product and we need to make advances in our taste profile.

I do not think all of our meat should taste like FAB brisket or Parkay brown sugar ribs. Nor do I think we should all produce butter poached pan chicken (yes I said poached).

I do not cook what I like and unfortunately I also contribute to the parody of competition BBQ and cook what the judges expect. As for myself I do not cook other peoples rubs, injections or sauces, it’s all mine. If I’m not changing up my taste profile, I’m not going to crest the top of the top. Thus, a small regional contest is also where I like to fool around with my recipes and cook apart from the same homogeneous fair. It's also a great place to cook and present white meat apart from the Jack.

My hat’s off to the small events, they are the grass roots of our sport and the development of small teams that support this bbq movement. I agree they have their place and I fully understand and support why a team would not want to cook at big events.

No complaints, but admiration for small events and pure local teams.

Just pondering a thought, no right or wrong, just a thought.

Mike - The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario

I saw a small, very well run contest go bigger. They forgot that they needed to make some changes in how they ran the contest and their facilities. It was obviously too big for them to manage in the same manner they had previously. It resulted in a lot of upset competitors who have never been back to their event again.

I would like to offer an opposing thought, we did a several small competitions in one particular state and not one event was over 50 teams, most events 1/2 that amount, very friendly and warm. We developed many new relationships and my team looks forward to do these as fun social events.

Last year a large competition came to that state with many large power teams in attendance. Of course we signed up and then started queering if or local friends were going to attend. They told me that they would not.

Their thought was the more power travel teams attended, the less opportunity for them to get a call. They felt they were merely fodder for the prize pool. This was not an isolated opinion but systemic with several teams offering the same thought. We went and the atmosphere was very different. Getting to the podium was tough, got a call and thankful for the one, it paid our registration fees.

I get what they are saying, this is the transition from what BBQ was, and the progression of what the BBQ “Sport” is turning out to be. Don’t get me wrong, I like to cook with the big boys, but there is something to say about a small intimate event. It’s not always about winning but the comradeship of the competitors verses the chase for points, prestige and money. Its just a very different game hat.

Mike, while I respect your opinion and I also enjoy smaller contests AND the bigger ones, I have to ask... if it's not about winning and points (which I'm fine with) but rather about the camaraderie, why does it matter if "big boys" who travel show up to cook the contest? Anyone has a chance to win prizes and teams can still visit and have fun together. Some of the biggest contests in the nation have seen teams get together for fun and relaxing potlucks on Thursday or Friday nights... the Royal, the Jack and the old Smoke on the Water event in Little Rock included. The contest we put on here in Pleasant Hill had 77 teams last year. There was a large group who had a potluck. One group had a "cigar lounge" and another hosted a jam session where several folks got together to play guitar, harmonica, etc and enjoy an enormous pan of cheese dip and chips at midnight. I guess my point is that these contests, regardless of size, are what you make them and they are what you want them to be.

My name is George Mullins and I'm a candidate for the KCBS BoD.

My opinion is that people need to shut up and cook:becky: The growth of the event is up to the organizer. What happens at the event is up to the cook/team. If they want to focus on cooking, then more power to them. If they are looking for fellowship and a good time, then more power to them and I hope to be able to visit them at some point.

It is what it is, and more importantly it is what YOU MAKE IT! I passed on the cigar lounge Jeff mentioned above when I was volunteering at Pleasant Hill because I had to get to the hotel to do some work, and there was some choice Scotch in there as well. It's what you make of the opportunity.

Live within the rules and you can have a great time. If you are local and you don't depend on $$ to cook the following week there is no reason to fear traveling teams. If you do need the $$, then the fact is that you need to cook better or lose the fear of those that travel. KCBS.us and the results available make it clear that the big dogs don't always chew up the competition.

It's just BBQ for most of us, and those that have a business to promote have that factored in or should. I don't want to figure out what I spent on BBQ this year, but if I did I know it would be worth it. I had the loan of a Jambo for 3 months, and the owner spent time at the house with my family between assignments in different parts of the country. Ignore the loan of the pit. He's family for life now. Cooking a contest in Austin, TX I had an invite to an event with a team I'd never met. My schedule wouldn't allow me to go check out the World Championship Goat Cookoff in Brady, but I had the opportunity.

Shut up and Cook!:becky:

Edit: My name is George Mullins, and I have approved this message:becky:

I guess my point is that these contests, regardless of size, are what you make them and they are what you want them to be.

I do not disagree in any manor, you are absolutely right; a team gets what they put into it. One of the best events we went to last year was Memphis in May, one of the largest competitions and most expensive there is. We met new teams and developed great friendships. I have to tip my hat to Neil, Mike and Blake of Too Sauced to Pork for getting us through Memphis and helping some "out of towners".

What I'm getting at is that the dynamics are different at a larger event where teams travel to attend, costs are higher and the competitors viewpoint changes. I seldom see Wagyo brisket at small local events nor do I see Berkshire shoulders (or collars) for that matter, it is more about what bbq was. We are talking about non-state championships, no Jack ticket draw and small prize payouts.

Don't get me wrong I like big events; we are trying to work our schedule for 2012 to include the largest ones.

However, back to the original thread topic, I get why some teams do not like larger events. In today's economy teams have to make a choice of what event they cook. Given that restriction, many small local teams do not want to be fiscal fodder for numerous power teams in search of a Jack ticket and another title. In a pool of 20 teams with one or two power teams, they have a chance of a call which is good enough for them.

It’s not right nor is it wrong; in my humble opinion its just different dynamics.

I do not disagree in any manor, you are absolutely right; a team gets what they put into it. One of the best events we went to last year was Memphis in May, one of the largest competitions and most expensive there is. We met new teams and developed great friendships. I have to tip my hat to Neil, Mike and Blake of Too Sauced to Pork for getting us through Memphis and helping some "out of towners".

Our pleasure...We just spreadin the BBQ Love brother, looking forward to hanging with ya'll again soon!

Neil

Thanks for a great idea. Im going to have my IP guys look into "Just Q it".

Kinder, gentler "Shut Up and Cook"??? :becky:

By the way, Scottie, I've been meaning to tell you how much I appreciated you stopping by on your fast blast through the Jack to say hello on Friday night! Meant a lot that you'd come in and say hi when you were pressed for time!

Kinder, gentler "Shut Up and Cook"??? :becky:

By the way, Scottie, I've been meaning to tell you how much I appreciated you stopping by on your fast blast through the Jack to say hello on Friday night! Meant a lot that you'd come in and say hi when you were pressed for time!

Happy i was able to see you guys Jeff. I was glad there still a lot of folks up at 10:30 to entertain me... :thumb:

Back