What's The Hardest Comp Meat To Find

It costs me a bit more ($2.99/lb) but I get my spares from a local boutique butcher that will bend over backwards to get me exactly what I'm looking for. For example, I just cooked 6 lbs of chuck short ribs ($5.99/lb); he hand picked each of the 14 ribs so they were within an ounce of each other and had about 1 3/4 to 2" of meat on each rib. Sam's Club can't even come close.

Has to be Ribs...just got burnt this past weekend when I opened a Smithfield three pack to find shiners on all three racks. Thank God for the guys at Red NEck Caviar who had and extra two pack form Bj's....those have been our most consistent comp ribs.

Ribs out here....gave up on Restaurant Depot...Sam’s has been hit-and-miss.

Just got done trimming 7 racks for next weekend...I liked one of 'em. found another 3 I might use....and 3 that are for practice. Probably headed back to the market tomorrow to try to scavenge a few more.

A little more expensive but if you find a store that carries cryo pack St Louis cut spares then you can pick through and get what you want. I try to stay away from 2-3 slab packs

smithfield is bad at best. IMHO.
for the price of 7 racks, go to whole foods. they sell st. louis cut ribs. they'll show you every rack in the case if you ask and you'll be able to get 2 good ones at least i promise. it's spendy for sure, but, prolly not more than 7 racks or being burned by shiners etc. at a comp.

Gotta say ribs as well...been seein' a lotta double boned bb's out here. Not a big deal but kind of a pita if you're tryin' to get 6-7 ribs outta one rack. No problems with briskies, butts, or chicken...:cool:

I would have to say a solid brisket with good marbling and a thick flat has been the hardest lately. Ribs are a close second. We usually go with the heavier 3 packs (2 per comp) and at least 4 slabs are always good. We use the culls to test cook for dinner on Friday night.

Back