What's the best bbq thermometer

Color Codes

Hey all,

I thought you might get a kick out of this,

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/thermapen_choose_color.html

Especially

bbqstudent, Is there actually a difference in function determined by the color of the case for some reason or is this just a joke I'm not getting?

Thanks again, all

I'm going for the Thermapen, SO I CAN USE INSIDE HOUSE AS WELL AS BBQ, I've RUINED TO MANY YARD BIRDS OVER WORRYING ABOUT UNDER COOKING.

again, YOU GUYS ARE THE Kings, ONE DAY I WILL SNATCH THE GRASS HOPPER FROM YOUR HANDS, MY Masters, ONE DAY...............................

I was wondering what in the hell was going on with all that. Thought maybe the blue ones were manufactured at a different time or location. I don't know, it didn't make much sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

I swear by these! If the probes are left in a damp area, you will need to completely dry them to get an accurate reading. Try leaving the probes in the oven at 350 for a few hours then allow to cool while plugged in. You will see the thermo's bouncing around if they are wet. As for the range, I've never had a problem at home getting the 100' plus some. That is even through walls, windows and doors. I have heard some teams complain when using these and cargo trailers with alum skin. There are mods to do to these for extending range. I have not needed to do these. I love the limit alarms for sleeping through the night! Also back lighting is a plus! When looking for these for sale, they are the Maverick ET-73. There are also other Maverick models but this one is the Cadillac model with 2 probes and remote.

I just ordered the Thermapen so i can't say much about them but I have borrowed a few while vending at comps to check my food (grilling for myself) and they work as advertized! I got the original in green cause I hear they are the fastest.

You'll hear a variety of responses, but a lot of us use the Maverick Redicheck. It's range can be limited, but overall a decent thermometer. Has two probes, one for the smoker and one for the meat, and you can set upper and lower alarm limits for each. Also has a remote wireless receiver.

41XV8Q7N89L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm going for the Thermapen, SO I CAN USE INSIDE HOUSE AS WELL AS BBQ, I've RUINED TO MANY YARD BIRDS OVER WORRYING ABOUT UNDER COOKING

Keep on mind that the thermapen won't monitor your smoker temp, and doesn't do continuous monitoring like the maverick. On the other hand, the maverick has a slow response time. Up to you. BTW, I tried sending you a PM, but your mailbox is full.

thanks i will be ordering the maverick for the use in my new smoker

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole color thing with Thermapens is just an internal joke. They come in a variety of colors, and the Brethren like to joke around that their color is best. It is just the casing color and has no effect on the accuracy.

BLASPHEMER!!!!

You should go to the penalty box for that!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BLASPHEMER!!!!
You should go to the penalty box for that!

OK, I should come clean here. It has been proven that the Red thermapen is 5% more accurate as long as it is used on a brisket east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon line. Otherwise solar flares come into affect and will neutralize this advantage. :-D

The 2 probes are nice. One in meat, one through potatoe for pit.

Question about the probe in the potato thing. Is the potato just acting as a holder so that you don't have to clamp the probe somewhere? Because the probe is in the potato I would think that there would be a lag in the temp reading of the pit?

Thanks,

OK, I should come clean here. It has been proven that the Red thermapen is 5% more accurate as long as it is used on a brisket east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason Dixon line. Otherwise solar flares come into affect and will neutralize this advantage. :-D

Ah-ah-ahhh!
Not so fast......

Just read today that the BLUE models have some kind of new experimental microchip in them that actually ACCELERATES the thermal reading, giving it 0.0045 seconds faster reading time.

.......something to do with plutonium and the pull on the earth's gravity from Mercury.

......just saying...........read it in Popular Mechanics, and Science Today. Thermoworks had to pick ONE of the colors I guess. Blues that have been made since 2005 have the new chip, according to the articles.

Question about the probe in the potato thing. Is the potato just acting as a holder so that you don't have to clamp the probe somewhere? Because the probe is in the potato I would think that there would be a lag in the temp reading of the pit?

Thanks,

I think you just stick the probe THROUGH a small tater so the tip is exposed and not touching the grate.

I notice two different Maverick items being discussed here:

Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer

Maverick Remote-Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes

This is what I ordered,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I had to tell my wife we can check our temps when we are sick with it, to justify the purchuse, sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

mums the word :icon_smil

Looks like you got the Remote-Check, I read in the Amazon description that the RediChek is more suited for monitoring both meat and smoker air temps, where the Remote-Check has two meat probes. Am I reading this correctly?

The RediCheck is the ET-73. It reads smoker and meat temps, has limit alarms and is remote up to 100 ft. You can also use the smoker probe in meat. Check ebay for other probe options for this model. Longer cords and other probe ends are available.

I notice two different Maverick items being discussed here:

Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer

Maverick Remote-Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes

Looks like you got the Remote-Check, I read in the Amazon description that the RediChek is more suited for monitoring both meat and smoker air temps, where the Remote-Check has two meat probes. Am I reading this correctly?

I bought a remote (wireless) thermometer called Smart BBQ for $16 at Wally World, imported by JLR Gear (www.jlrgear.com). Works great.
* Programmable
* Built in Timer
* Stainless Steel Probe
* 8 Meat Selections
* 5 Taste Settings
* Built in LED flashlight
* Beeps when Ready
* Up to 100ft Range
* Digital LCD Readout
* Handheld Receiver with Built in Timer
* Base Transmitter with Receiver Cradle

Sears has a better discription and picture:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07115216000P?vName=Outdoor%20Living&cName=Grills&OutdoorCooking&sName=Barbecue%20Tools&psid=SHOPZILLA01&sid=IDx20070921x00003c

SmartBBQthermometer.jpg
How long have you had this one? I wonder if it lasts

I believe you can get the Maverick ET-73 for $44.95 including shipping at kck.com. I quit using the Maverick when I got my Thermapens.
No more worrying about lost signal, or busted thermocouple strung through doors, etc.

Pit temps I get on either a 3" glow in the dark Tel-tru, or I have a 5" face BBQ Pro Temps.com pit thermo.

I get a digital "grate level" temp on the pellet cookers in addition to the Normal analog pit probe.

I've also been looking at this one from POLDER...

http://www.polder.com/894-90.html

I already have a Weber wireless remote meat thermo, so if I got this one, then I could have 2 probes, 2 thermo's and be able to read temps in 2 pieces of meat AND the cooker!

The one above isn't wireless, but that's not a huge deal for me. My Weber reciever usually sits right near the transmitter anyway!

I've seen Polder mentioned a lot at other places, but not as much on this site.....

Whatchaguysthink?

Back