what would the ideal height be for a vertical drum type smoker if .............

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
You weren't limited to using a drum.(as in UDS) Reason I am asking is I have an 87" long by 25" wide ID heavy wall tube (scrap of some agricultural equipment) that I want to cut up and make a smoker out of. I was thinking of maybe a horizontal but I have only used a homemade drum smoker (made out of an old water pressure tank) and It works so well for me I think I am sticking to that type. (vertical)

a Standard drum measures 34" in height (I think) and is 23"wide. The one I made before is 41" height from the ground to the open edge.(and about 21.5 wide ID). Its on a stand though and The smoker itself is 35" from the ash tray to the open top. If I stick with an open top that 41" height from the ground is prob max if I have to reach over to remove the charcoal basket. But If I went with doors and pull out food and charcoal grates rather than a lid I could go higher. Usually the smoker I have is ok for capacity but if doing ribs for a larger gathering It is not. So some added room would be nice.

Thought I would ask for your thoughts on the ideal height (or design ideas) before I start cutting just in case I am missing something. I am probably trying to reinvent the wheel here but suggest away. All ideas welcome

Thanks

With 87" available, make a short one and a tall one. Use which ever suited your needs.
They could share the food grates, and charcoal grates, lid, etc.
Best of both worlds.

Post pictures please of whatever you build.

I would build it as tall as necessary to achieve the grate surface area requirements for your particular situation. Height is rarely an issue with vertical cookers. 87“ is excessively tall, but you're not losing much heat by going tall. True verticals with the heat source in the bottom are very efficient regardless of insulation. How tall do you want it to be? If you mount grates 9“-12" apart, how many racks do you need? That should determine your height. Honestly, I like extra height because grate height can tweak the cook temp depending on where you put it.

Last edited:
I’d just be worried about accessing your charcoal basket and also cleaning it out being too tall.

If you go to pull out grates, using a door. Your grates would end up around 14" to 16" wide. In order to have rails/support slides to hold the grates. If that makes sense. 24" deep by 16" wide for example. See pic below of grate 14"X22" for reference.
What is the largest amount of meat you want/expect to cook?
Ribs is easy. Make a hanging rack. Make some hooks.
You really only need 20" max height above your coal basket. You can get by with 17" height.
You can easily hang 12 racks of babybacks with room to spare in a drum.

Smitty has a pipe smoker like what you are describing. PM him, I'm sure he'd be happy to post some pics. Built by a Brethren who is no longer with us.:thumb:

I changed my full size drum, into a "stubby" drum. I no longer find a requirement for the extra height of a full size drum. No more grease stain on coats, shirts etc from having to reach over the top to get the basket.
See my posts/pics for reference.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4284461&posted=1#post4284461
So easy to move and clean.

Attachments

• DEB mod grate.jpg
    DEB mod grate.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01221.jpg
    DSC01221.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 50
Sounds like a classic 'pipe' smoker project to me. 60" for the cook chamber with ~27" for the firebox. The vertical options with pull out shelves is a lot of fabrication effort and materials.

Back