What was your most recent fail?

About six months ago I was cooking a really stuborn brisket. The last time I checked the temp it was in the 180's so I built up the fire a bit hopping to help get it finished. I went inside to sit on the couch for a sec and next thing I knew I woke up about 4hrs later. I had no clue how much more the brisket had cooked but it was still above 140 so I put it in a cooler. It ended up being overdone but it tasted ok. Still disappointed to watch a brisket so long and screw it up at the end but chopped beef is better than no beef.

Summer before last I was grilling some chicken thighs on the Weber. Cooking them indirect with a few pieces of wood for smoke. Everything going great, including my beer buzz. Went in the house and sat on the couch, looking for a game on TV. Next thing I know I'm waking up the next morning. The chicken looked like the charcoal I used to cook it. Thankfully it wasn't something expensive like a brisket or rib roast. Live and learn. :oops:
Ouch!

Previously cooked a pork shoulder on my pellet grill at 225. I didn't change the foil in the pan before i fired it up two days later to grill some chicken at 400...i put the chicken on, and went inside for a bit. Came out, opened the grate and I was grilling chicken over a good size grease fire... when all was said and done, there was a\slightly funky taste that my love wouldn't eat, but I could lessen it with sauce :tsk:

Time before that, i charcoal grilled some bacon wrapped chicken on a skewer. Easy right? I grabbed a chunk of mesquite out of the bag, and threw on in the middle of the charcoal, to add some smoke flavor. Then through on food. The wood smoldered for a long time. Food tasted VERY bitter. My love didnt care much for that either.

Not recent, but a big fail. I cooked a BBQ comp and as usual we threw the left overs in the cambros, while I moved on to the next turn in meats. After we are done, we give away or bag up the left overs. Well, somehow we missed a cambro, don't know how we bring 2. lol

A solid 2 months after that cook we are getting ready for the next comp on the schedule. I open the cambro and there is a grate with furry chicken. The smell was not so good, and it had penetrated the rubber gasket on the cambro. Actually had to order a new gasket, soak the cambro multiple times in beach to kill the odor. and I just threw away the dunk grate and the green furry chicken. Yummy

Use to over smoke foods when first starting to smoke Smoked a turkey too long at a low Temp- not a good taste
Was the oung lady screaming hot too Norm :biggrin1:
Oh man do I remember those days smoking up the back yard. Billowing white smoke rolling from the grill. I thought I was an expert. :p

That would be the brisket I made a couple months back. It was my first brisket in probably a decade. I SEVERELY undercooked it and it was tough as shoe leather with a flavor of disappointment.

a few weeks ago i did some spares on the offset. one of them was taking way longer than the rest to finish up and we had more than enough, so i let it keep going while we were eating. well, beer turned into beers and i forgot about that rack until the next day.

My father in law requested that I cook ribs for his birthday. The cookout needed to be at his house so I would be using his equipment. He has a Cabela's pellet cooker and I have never cooked on one. I decided to follow the directions in the owners manual. Five and a half hours later company is arriving and the ribs are not tender. I was able to finish them off on a gas grill running higher heat and leaving them on until everything else was on the table. Not a big failure, they were good, but a learning experience.

Not recent, but when I woke up the next morning with a cantaloupe sized hole burned through my still smoldering deck.
That could have been so much worse! These stories are why I never cook on my deck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not really a fail of mine but did require a change of plans. Got some beef ribs on manager special, opened the package to prep and almost blew chunks.

Burgers and dogs were tasty that night.

Not recent, but my biggest fail ever.
One of our Grand Daughters was having her 4th Birthday Party. She wanted "Grandpa's Ribs", by special request.
6 racks of Baby Back Ribs on my grill and it was jammed. Too jammed.
Because it was 104° F that day, I was hiding inside between turnings.
Well, had a disastrous flare up and the whole load caught fire in the saucey stage. I had to pull all the half-racks, and let the grill burn out.

No time to start over, I scraped off as much of the char as possible, and forged ahead. They were still edible.
But Holy Moly, not my finest batch by any means. :icon_blush:

I try to never leave my grill anymore. And I never overload it anymore.
That was a disaster!
Charbroiled with extra char. :oops::oops::oops:

Back