THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My main comp cookers are a pellet smoker (FEC100) and a Backwoods Chubby. Had the Humphrey's smokers been available at the time I bought the Backwoods, I would have gone that route.

I have 2 WSMs at home. They are great cookers, but the OP already has a smoker but is looking for something with easier fire management. WSMs are great, and the 22" can run a long time, but high winds can also have a big impact on the cook. The cabinet smokers (FEC, Backwoods, Humphrey's, Stumps, Superior, etc.) tend to operate more or less the same way regardless of outside conditions, so you tend to see those a lot of in the northern states.

The original question was Backwoods vs. Yoder. The Yoder cooks a lot like an offset, but fire management is easier (at least with the pellet versions, which is what I assume is being considered.)

If you like the offset, but want easier fire management, go with the Yoder. If you cook in tough weather conditions, go with a cabinet smoker. If you like the Backwoods, give the Humphrey's a good look too.

Given the budget of 3500 & under that's plenty of choices to go w/. I assume by comment on it doesn't matter tow/haul mean's you've a truck w/ hitch setup? If you're used to offset you may want to stick w/ the same kind & go w/ a Lang, Meadowcraft, Jambo or Yoder all good offsets not to mention more makers that I didn't list that I'm sure others would come up w/. You can go cheap w/ WSMs be it 18" or 22" & get 2+ of each that way you've more money left over for the other things for contests like canopies, tables/ coolers, entry fees, meats or the myriad of misc other things.

Back