THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gimmethecash

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Steven
I'm trying to decide what to do with this brisket flat I had my other half pick up at Costco today - it's pretty small, just 4 pounds & has a small fat cap on the side you can't see, at least on the thicker end. I've never smoked brisket before.

I'm smoking a few racks of spares tomorrow in the stickburner for us & some guests, and I also have time Sunday.

I'm thinking 4 hours fat down at 275 with some rub or just Texas style (maybe next to the ribs), but it also looks like it would make some sweet jerky if I sliced it with the grain.

Ideas?

Attachments

• brisket_flat.jpg
    brisket_flat.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 163
Here is how to make a brisket in one sentence.

Salt & pepper, fat side up in a 250°f -275°f smoker until internal temp reaches 203° then wrap in butcher paper and rest for about an hour before slicing it against the grain.

Believe it or not it took me multiple attempts to learn everything in that sentence. The 203°f internal temp was a tip from a local bbq place that makes good brisket and was surprisingly the same exact temp that Big Moe Cason gave when I took his class last year at a KCBS event. I try to take whatever classes are offered at these events.
Chris

Last edited:
I may be crazy, but it looks like a good piece of meat to me...smoke it as you suggested!

The suggestions about grinding are solid, awesome burgers, tacos or meatloaf can be had. But if you want some barbecue, smoke it for 3 or 4 hours, then wrap with some beefy broth and cook it tender.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I’m going to roll with what Chris & others suggested, fat side up in the smoker at ~275* seasoned Texas style with a nice wrapped rest after.

I knew I could count on Smitty and was not disappointed - deep frying looks tasty, but I’d still need to smoke it first, plus I don’t have a deep fryer since my last move (mysteries) and you know - first attempt at brisket. Too pretty to grind.

I’ll smoke it by itself on Sunday; that gets us out of going to a children’s Easter party (our kids are grown) and instead I get to spend an afternoon drinking beer & playing with fire, and hopefully eating some tasty brisket. Win all around.

"What to do with this small brisket flat"

Good Lord, Man! You fix it up and eat it!
First Brisket... Starting small is a good thing. To see if you like it.
Being it's a tip, it will cook faster. Use a therm to watch its internal Temp.
Have fun and good luck!

Edit In: Texas rub also requires Mesquite...

I like to use apple, cherry, or hickory because it produces a good taste and is easy to get. Several of the bbq stands in our area like to use white oak and it does produce a great flavor, but I’m not buying wood by the cord, and I can’t get it in the small quanties I use. I tried smoking with mesquite and it was overpowering. Arron Franklin uses post oak wood that he gets in abundance he also says to stay clear of mesquite for the same reason I experienced. Here is Arron Franklins video on selecting wood that is part of his video series on how to make brisket. https://youtu.be/ucUy1k86GdA
Chris

Last edited:
I went the more traditional route - rubbed with lots of S&P, wrapped in foil with some beef broth when it hit 160 & stalled, pulled off the smoker at 203 & let it rest for a little over an hour. Sliced up thin against the grain. Was spectacularly delicious.

I have the better part of a cord of seasoned almond wood stacked in my back yard (easy to find and renewable here, thanks to California producing 80% of the world’s almonds, plus makes great firewood), really loving the flavor of it on what I’ve smoke with it so far.

Back