THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokemonster

Knows what a fatty is.
First off I just wanted to say hello and how much I enjoy this site. Before last summer, I was just a guy that had a cheap gas grill that I used a couple times during the week when the weather was nice. I always liked the taste of food grilled over charcoal, so I decided to get myself a Weber Kettle. Well, it wasn't long before I got hooked on cooking over live fire. I soon began trying some small scale smoking with my kettle and had some pretty good results. I recently bought myself a WSM and I now have BBQ fever. I've been trying new things every weekend since I bought it. Not even the cruddy winter weather has been holding me back.

Now that I've done the introduction thing, I really could use some help. I saw a couple of posts about doing pulled chuck roast so I thought I would give it a try. I went to the store yesterday and ended up buying a bottom round roast because it was on special. I figured a roast is a roast and it should work just fine :doh:. Well, I have since found out that the bottom round is a much leaner cut and I'm afraid it won't do well low and slow. Should I still try and smoke this thing at lower temps or would it do better with a hot and fast cook? I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could throw my way. Thanks!

Last edited:
That cut of meat is very tough and lends itself to being cooked medium rare and then sliced very thin. I have slow roasted the meat on your grill to about 140 degrees (wrapped in foil) and when done let rest. Slice the meat very thin; suggest using a meat slicer. In addition I would make an Au Jus to dunk the meat in and then place on a Kaiser roll with some pickle chips etc...

I like to do a sort of pit beef thing that has already been mentioned. It also does make a good pot roast, especially with lots of onions and mushrooms.

I use it to make Chicago style beef sandwiches! I use a modified recipe from Dr BBQ that works well for us. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=785965&postcount=10 I basically triple the liquids and then use the spices per his directions. I like to use the juices to reheat the sliced beef like we do it here in Chicago!

Would you believe this roast...
brisket021.jpg

Made all of this...
brisket022.jpg

brisket023.jpg

Into a pot of hot juices and put on some day old Jimmy Johns bread with a couple slices of fresh mozz. Heaven!!!!!!

brisket025.jpg

brisket032.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses! I knew I'd get some great ideas here. I found a couple of threads for pit beef and I think I'm going to give it a try.

Back