THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We buy "substandard" (no-roll) ribeyes for burgers all the time.
Usually in that low $3/lb range.

Not worth a flip as steaks.
They make killer steak burgers.

Slice ultra thin for sandwiches or grind to make it into--

Good Eats.

TIM

Let me apologize to jbwrangler for sounding critical of his cooking abilities, I now realize that is exactly how I would have perceived my post.

All the butcher was implying was if a person knows meat very well they should, according to him be able to figure out how to proceed with cooking it to its full potential. I do not posses that same level of knowledge myself and know that if I bought a ribeye I would expect it to be a great steak, especially never having had a bad one. There are some good choices made here as to what to do with it so go with one and don't look back. Don't forget stew meat, should make an excellent pot of stew.

This tread has come at the right time for me because a local store has no-roll ribeys on sale and no-roll kc strips, I was thinking of getting the ribeye but now am having second thoughts it would be to expensive for grinding into burger meat.
Dave

I cut some 1-1/4" steaks and grilled on the gasser to 130 over high heat. This was 3.99/lb and labeled as "economy ribeye". It looked ok, so I took a chance. Not much marbling.

If I don't have a grinder, what are my options?

I like the mother in law idea.

Dave,

Check the cost--
I find that the cheap ribeye is very close to chuck and brisket.
At least in our area.

It does make some kickass steak burgers.
Many shops like Winn Dixie will grind it for you if you want.

TIM

Put it in the freezer long enough for it to firm up real good....but not be frozen solid.
Then slice it RAZOR THIN...so thin you can see through it. You can do this by hand
if you don't have a slicer....it may take a while though.

Then season it up real good and cook it hot & fast in a skillet for sandwiches....add
some thin sliced cheese; and some sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms, or whatever
you like. And it should make for some nice sandwiches that way.
A French Roll works great...or just on a hamburger bun is good too.

That or cut it up in 1 1/2" cubes for a great Beef Stew this coming Winter.

I cut some 1-1/4" steaks and grilled on the gasser to 130 over high heat. This was 3.99/lb and labeled as "economy ribeye". It looked ok, so I took a chance. Not much marbling.

If I don't have a grinder, what are my options?

I like the mother in law idea.

Cook the whole chunk to an internal you desire.Mine is 125,pull it rest it,chill it.Slice as thin as possible for roast beef,
.A slicer helps but it can be done with a good sharp knife.

Cut it up for stew meat.

I was hungry and flush one weekday evening, when the Mrs. worked late. So I sprung for a choice grade "Brandt" brand rib eye from a reputable upscale local market with a real butcher shop. On the kettle, opposite the coals, to 122 degrees, then a reverse sear for 15-20 seconds. Rest. CHEWY like it shouldn't be.

Dave,

Check the cost--
I find that the cheap ribeye is very close to chuck and brisket.
At least in our area.

It does make some kickass steak burgers.
Many shops like Winn Dixie will grind it for you if you want.

TIM

Thanks but the ribeye are going for 4.00lb and the kc strips 5.00. I can get ground chuck for 1.49lb right now and have a freezer full of it, so I am not inclined to by the no-roll for burger meat at this time.
Dave

A good butcher once told me there is no such thing as bad meat, just bad cooks. Come on a ribeye, can't be all that bad. Think I would give it another go and see if you just weren't paying attention.
Dave

And, a wise man once said, "This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it."

I've had bad steaks before. Not cheap cuts, but good cuts that were just nod good. I had a ribeye at Outback Steakhouse that sucked, although I've never had a good steak at Outback, so it could have been the cooking, but the meat itself was dry and tough, which is hard to pull off with a ribeye. So, I'm guessing it was not a good hunk of meat to begin with.

CD

Lot's of good ideas here. If you don't have a grinder, maybe you live close to a brethren that does, who will grind it for you. I bet it is awesome for burgers.

Thin slicing for cheesesteaks is another good idea.

Using it in soups and stews, or even chili is another good option. The long cook time will make it tender, and the stock will add flavor.

CD

Had a horrible ribeye roast once. I didnt buy it but I had to eat it. fugger had gristle in it. must have been from someones family pet cow that died of natural causes

Back