THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HouseofSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
I for family and a few close friends make whole smoked T-bone/strip loin I was recently asked to make 3 for a wedding for the daughter of a Friend, I am trying to find out about what I should charge her per pound, any ideas are greatly appreciated

If you are not a licensed caterer, give the situation some serious thought....

Whenever you cook and sell food, even for a friend, you should be aware of the laws and the risks involved. By ignoring these and not investigating the legal requirements for any food sale, you are putting yourself at a great risk. Ignorance of the laws and regulations is not a defense, in fact it will just help to build a stronger case against you if something should go wrong.

If it's truly a friend, just cook the food for him and keep yourself out of the equation.

In a case like this I would have your friend or his daughter purchase the product and then pay you a fee for cooking it. This will cover your expenses and reduce your liability. I'm just up the road from kannapolis and have family in Landis so if you ever need a t-bone taster I'll be there:wink:

Any formula for sales price is based on costs. In restaurants many will say charge 3 times what the cost of food is, because in operating a business this will usually cover all the operating costs and still give a 5-20% profit. But you arent paying for insurance, a license, payroll taxes, workers comp, etc. So calculate what it will cost you buy the meat and supplies you need and add some profit for yourself, thats your price.

In a case like this I would have your friend or his daughter purchase the product and then pay you a fee for cooking it. This will cover your expenses and reduce your liability. I'm just up the road from kannapolis and have family in Landis so if you ever need a t-bone taster I'll be there:wink:

My husband grew up in the China Grove/ Landis area y'all may know each other or at least each others people :)

Back