THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

bbq boyee

I'm looking at buying a meat grinder. I don't want to pay much more than 100 bucks. Do any of you have a grinder that you spent around a 100 bucks on and are ahppy with?

Most of the grinders in the $100 range are made with plastic gears and are not meant for heavy duty use. If you'll only be using it infrequently then I would pick up something like the Waring Pro and just understand that after a while it will burn out. You could also get a hand cranked grinder if you don't mind putting a little effort into it. If you expect to use it more often then I really recommend you save up more for something from LEM (sold at Bass Pro Shops) or Cabelas, you'll be much happier in the long run.

I have had the Sam Baere TS-110 for a couple of years.
Well built, reasonable power, and easy to clean.
Great unit.

I think it was a bit more than your desired limit--but a starting place to look around.

I use mine often and love it.

TIM

If you have a kitchenaid mixer, I always reccommend the grinder attachment for that. It only costs $49, and is fine for home use. If you are going to be using it really frequently, I would go another route, but if you don't know, $49 is about as cheap as it gets to find out. All that being said, if you are planning on stuffing as well, I would stear clear of the kitchenaid stuffer attachment.

I was looking at a cabelas one here at this link--------------> http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heavy-Duty-Meat-Grinder/1083204.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeat%2Bgrinders%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=meat+grinders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you get a chance check it out and let me know what you think of it. Also was looking at this one: Amazon.com: Deni 3500 800-Watt Professional Grade Meat Grinder: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KBJYyXfwL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KBJYyXfwL

I might add that I am planning on using this a fair amount. I don't butcher my own meat by any means and rarely am I lucky enough to kill something when I go hunting, but I imagine when I first get it I'll be using it quite a bit. I want to make my own bratwerst and polish sausages.

They are farkin' cheap but the reviews scare me.

Yeah, I just saw the Cabelas one you posted has much better reviews. I think anything under $200 is gonna be a crapshoot, however, because they're going to give you a pretty weak motor and plastic gears. If you try to put in too much meat and work it too fast you're going to snap the gears or fry the motor.

I bought my dad a cheap one for about $100 a couple years back. We opened it up and it just screamed CRAPPY so I took it back and spent the difference on the 1/4 hp LEM from Bass Pro Shops and we couldn't be happier. It has handled everything we've thrown at it. Of course it was about $240 so it's way over your budget.

Check Northern Tools. Their grinder gets pretty decent reviews with guys that make quite a bit of sausage. I just bought their Kitchener 5# stuffer.

This 1/2 horse #12 is currently $99 and I've seen it lower and on occasion they have coupons. ((Just saw the previous posts!!))
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

The Kitchen Aid grinder gets the job done but you are a bit limited on plate sizes. My next purchase is a #10 or #12 grinder.

The Kitchen Aid is a good choice for light duty. Or get one of the old style hand grinders and motorize it. Kits are available and should last a lifetime.

I got the Northern Tool grinder for about $100 3-4 years ago and it's still going strong. It's not commercial grade but for home use it does great. I use it at least once a month for simply grinding chuck for a few burgers or for 20lbs of pork for sausage on occasion. I have a good amount of venison sausage making coming up soon and it'll handle it just fine. And if it does crap out, it's inexpensive to replace. I highly recommend it.

I picked up the Northern Tool one a few months ago. Was highly recommended. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it's built solid. As stated $99.00 is a good price.

+1 on the KitchenAid attachment. It does everything I need it to. Of course if you don't have a KitchenAid mixer already then it doesn't matter.

anything in your price range will be a crap shoot. Been there , done that. They will hold up ok for occasional grinds but when it takes a chit in the middle of a grind, you will be wishin' ya spent more! I had an el cheapo from ebay for a few years that did fine then took a crap in the middle of a 10lb grind. I went with one of the commercial cabela's grinders and can't be happier now.

I have the Kitchener from Northern Tool also. The $99 price must only be good online because it was $129 in the store and they would not match the website price. I have used it quite a bit and it works very well for me.

I have the Kitchen-Aid and it has been good to me. I recently picked up a cast iron Enterprise #32 and a Porkert #22 hand grinders.

Back