What makes one a pit master???

The Pitmasters Creed by TechnoSwine

Adapted from the USMC Riflemans Creed. SEMPER FI!

This is my pit. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 

My pit is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My pit, without me, is useless. Without my pit, I am useless. I must fire my wood true. It must burn cleaner than my enemys who is trying to out smoke me. I must smoke him before he smokes me. I will...

My pit and myself know that what counts in this competition is not the pounds we cook, the speed of our burn, but the smoke we make. We know that it is the taste that counts. Low, slow and blue...

My pit is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its burn pattern. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my pit clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My pit and myself are the defenders of my BBQ Brethren. We are the masters of our art. We
are the saviors of my life.

So be it, as BBQ is America's cuisine and there is no enemy, but smoke!

Sometimes I feel like a pit master and other times I feel like a pity master when thing go wrong.
Dave

I always just figured the guy running the pit and calling the shots is the pitmaster. I don't believe the term pitmaster is something reserved for the elite or even good cooks - the quality of the product will speak to the level of accomplishment. IMHO.

To me it's being able to corretly throw the right switch on my pit, and since I do know how to do that very well...Yes, yes I am a Pit Master!

As long as we are outside, possibly with a beverage, enjoying the moment and entertaining our family and friends with our favorite cooking device, does it really matter.

True. And he's a Canadian. :mrgreen:

Of course, I am a pitmaster. My wife told me so.

No good deed goes unpunished

In any structured event there must be some one who can be blamed if it all goes to hell. In BBQ it is the pit master. In boating it is the captain. Although I don’t think it is required for a pit master to go down with his rig.

Adapted from the USMC Riflemans Creed. SEMPER FI!

This is my pit. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 

My pit is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My pit, without me, is useless. Without my pit, I am useless. I must fire my wood true. It must burn cleaner than my enemys who is trying to out smoke me. I must smoke him before he smokes me. I will...

My pit and myself know that what counts in this competition is not the pounds we cook, the speed of our burn, but the smoke we make. We know that it is the taste that counts. Low, slow and blue...

My pit is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its burn pattern. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my pit clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My pit and myself are the defenders of my BBQ Brethren. We are the masters of our art. We
are the saviors of my life.

So be it, as BBQ is America's cuisine and there is no enemy, but smoke!

Hence the nickname "Hamlet". :lol:

Nice post buddy. :wink:

Back