What is the major difference in all wood smokers and charcoal/wood chunk smokers?

Technically speaking; there are numerous volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in wood. Sometimes these are called aromatic hydrocarbons. Some of these are desirable in flavoring meat and some arent'. Others are downright nasty!

The undesirable one tend to overshadow the desirable ones during incomplete combustion instances. That is why we aim for the thin sweet blue. I suppose that is also why some people pre heat their wood but unless it's wet and you're trying to dry it out, I don't see a significant difference.

I've eaten Q from a lot of restaurants that cook on all wood smokers and have eaten Q from friends of mine with all wood smokers. Though their Q is good it's not this "WOW!!!" huge difference of flavor and taste than what comes out of mine, which is a charcoal burning (add wood chunks) smoker.

So that is the reason I asked the question.

I think all smokers worked properly produce a good smoked product.
As you can see, I have just a few options here when I want BBQ.
I really do think I get a little more smoke on my food when I use sticks ONLY.
But, when I am LAZY Barstard, i crank up a BGE, or a Traeger. I do like the ease of them.
Oh, I almost forgot.
STICK BURNERS RULE!!!!!
grills&smokers.JPG

Just my Opinion.....;}-

I do sticks, and I pre-heat the wood before introduction to the FB. I feel that it catches quicker, it usually is burning well when I start to close to door. The bad stuff is caused by incomplete ingition of the wood, by pre-heating ,it gets a head start and the rapid combustion eliminates the Gray smoke. Mine is always Thin and Blue.i.e.

newshots171.jpg

see the wisp of TBS?

newshots053.jpg

this is how my fire box looks...
when the smoke starts to get heavier, adjust the air or add a small split.I double split my sticks so they catch quicker after heating,almost instant.
Like I said,just my opinion,but try it yourself,seeing is beliving...

STICKBURNERS RULE!!!

I worked in a plywood mill in Springfield Oregon years ago. When we had hog fuel that was to wet for our boilers or just crummy fuel we off loaded it to the Kingsford plant across town.

IMHO it is hard to hide "junk" in a stick of wood and who knows what is in that little black pill. I think lump would be much cleaner with no filler of unknow origin. Just my $.02 worth.

I think it is funny when you read about people saying they can tell the difference whether the food was cooked over charcoal, lump, or sticks - :biggrin:

I use all wood all the time , that because it free, I also enjoying burning wood at night and keep the fire going. I usually preheat the wood it will bring up heat faster, and cut down on white smoke.

Back