THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So I have had my charcoal grill for 2 years (exactly this month). I went to cook on it Saturday and I saw the grates had these going on. It looks like something the
cast iron grates were wrapped in is coming off. Anyone know what this is? Do I need to do anything to it? Last but not least, I just want to make sure it's nothing to worry
about from a health standpoint of it coming off and possibly being on the food. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Grill grate.jpg
    Grill grate.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 83
Those look very much like the grates in my Pit Boss pellet grill. If I were a gambling man I'd say they are porcelain coated steel and the porcelain is coming off. I would first check if it's covered under warranty and if not maybe get new grates. There might also be a method to clean them up I dunno. I'd probably let them go with the porcelain coming off though. Good luck.

Scrape it down good with a stiff brush and see if it peels off. Might be a porcelain coating.
Be careful if you clean with a brush. They have been known to shed and that's as bad or worse for you than peeling porcelain.

I agree with the ideas that it's peeling porcelain and get warranty or replace with something that won't peel.

Thanks for the replies. Where would I go to find grates the exact size made out of something different where I could replace these? Any ideas?

Well first thing to do is measure them, you didn't mention what brand of grill, ck with manufacture see if they offer stainless, then compare or ck the net, rarely see something that is odd ball so might save $$, I am not a fan of cast grates, my pitboss smoker has the coated grates but no high heat to damage the coating, a grill can crank it up and ruin the coating over time.

Older Char Griller grates were NOT porcelain coated. New ones are. I don't know if they can supply you with the old ones or not. They are a pain to keep seasoned but that's better than chips of glass in you gut.

You might also check with these guys and see if they have anything that might work.

Older Char Griller grates were NOT porcelain coated. New ones are. I don't know if they can supply you with the old ones or not. They are a pain to keep seasoned but that's better than chips of glass in you gut.

You might also check with these guys and see if they have anything that might work.
I was just about. to suggest he go look for some 3rd party cast iron grates.
Back when I used to use my weber kettle...I switched to some heavy cast iron grates and fell in love with grilling again back then.....

A bit of extra maintenance to keep them seasoned and not rusting, but worth the effort IMHO.

cayenne

Back