What Internal temp do you cook a pork loin to?

What internal temp do you cook your pork loin to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have to make sure that when I cook anything for the wife it's VERY well done due to her allergies. I usually take it into between 165 to as high as 195 before I take it off. It took me a few times of smoking to get her to trust the "pinkness" of food becuse she's been "burned" so many times before. If it's even the least bit underdone for eher it'll put her into severe gastric distress. Kinda ruins the mood when you go out for dinner on your anniversary........

Ron_L said:
Me either... I usually cook pork loin to about 150-155.

ditto, what he said... 190 pork loin seems to be way to high

kcquer said:
The 190 mod was a willkat98 adaptation of the wrapped brisket technique. It is much higher than NSF "done" and will be a little drier than a lower temp but the tenderness achieved at 190 is awesome!!! The texture is much firmer than butt butta meat which can get kinda pasty or mushy.
Slices (you have to be careful but it will slice) of 190 loin served with the juices from the foil are cut with a fork tender and just melt in your mouth.

190 loin is certainly worth a try if you haven't done one that way. Lower finishing temps are fine too and do turn out a little moister but not as tender.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=117&category=*BBQ%20BRETHREN%20PORK*

Hope that link works

If not, Recipes section, Brethren Pork, Bill (Really TK's) method for pork loin

If you do it right, and retain the juices, its the moistest, and the most tender.

Not tooting my horn, I'm tooting TK's method.

140-150? I'll have to try that. Not saying not bad, but I just never tried that. Will need to add that to the arsenal

EDit: Just tried the link and it works. And its like 4 recipes in one.

Enjoy

BBQchef33 said:
Not a fan of the high temp porkloin.... its tender, but if ya dont have it swimming in the juices fromthe foil, its a little dry.

You weren't singing that tune at Bash 2 in your backyard my friend.

Ask chad. He's got a photographic memory.

I think I recall "Holy chit is that good".

Chad, do you agree?

:wink:

Just kidding, but I know people were surprised you could go that high on a loin

I Take My Pork Lion Off At About 160 To 165.
But I Do Agree With Drbbq I Prefer 145 To 150 But The Wife Like It Done More. And She Is The Boss.lol

Kevin said:
Farker! Now I gotta dig through the old vinyl stack and find Janis.
And to stay on topic, "hot, pink and juicy" is what it's all about for pork loin among other things.

I'm definitely with the 140 crowd.

You will find that track on Big Brother and the Holding Company and on a "Greatest hits" as well. Best version of that song I know of. Goerge would have been pleased!

I did 2 loins this weekend, foiled both @145..........let one go to 165, rested and sliced, let the other go to 210, let rest wrapped up ina thick towel( foil still on ) for 2 hours.........pulled it apart with a fork and mixed with some of my homemade sauce.....both were very good!!!!

The only full Loin I have smoked I prepared (trying) to follow TK's / Bill's method. FWIW, it was too dry, if not bathed in the juices to eat. (Not blaming the method, I could have screwed something up, got a lean loin, etc.) I resolved the next time that I smoke a loin to take it to 160-165 ish, but have not gotten around to it.

Sidebar, since this topic has discussed "pork done-ness". Let me see if I can explain the question: If we assume the 'danger zone' is generally 41-140, and we want to minimize time spent in that zone, isn't slow smoking a Loin to the 140 area pushing safety? If you have been running a chamber at 225, the innards of that loin will have spent a long time in the danger zone, and a very short time outside it. You wouldn't leave that loin on the counter for 3 hours before blasting it at 350 for 2 hours, even though the 'graph' of the internal temperature would probably look fairly similar.

I mean no offense by my question, it is something I have sort of wondered about. Essentially, is a few seconds above 140 enough make it safe, when it has spent what most people consider a long time in the danger zone (when measuring meat temp, not neccesarily environment temp)?

----I have re read my post three times, and I am not sure I am making any sense, but will give it a shot ----

I do my pork loins on the Weber. I make a "boat" out of HD foil to cook the loin in. I place this "loin boat" in the middle of the grill. I put a cast iron smoker box filled with water in the middle of the fire grate right under the loin boat. I bank my coals on the sides of the grill (on each side of the smoker box)

It usually takes 90 minutes to get to 160*. I take it off the grill and cover with another piece of foil and let it rest for a good 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Then I take the loin out of the boat and onto a cutting board for slicing. Save the juices!! Then I move the sliced loin to a platter and pour the juices back over top of the slices. UUUmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!!!

Ive been meaning to smoke a loin but I like this method so well I cant come off of it.

I've been cooking the loins to about 155 degrees. After the rub has set, I put the loin in a foil pan, and put a foil tent over the loin to help reatain moisture, but leaving enough openings around the edges to still allow some smoke. So far so good, but still experimenting.

I will run mine to an internal of 145, pull and foil. Let it rest 15 minutes then slice. Paul Kirk told me 145 is what he runs his pork loins to. Then let em rest a bit, then eat.

Back