THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers65

is one Smokin' Farker
So i went out of town for the week to do some skiing. Smoked a couple butts that I wrapped up and took with me for dinner one night, left 3 racks of BB's in the freezer to smoke when I got home. Walked in the door this morning and went lookin for my ribs only to find my dad already cooked em'. Oh-well, got some water boiling, grabbed my steaming basket and steamed up a bunch.

No smoke flavor what-so-ever. Figured he grilled them, shook my head and finished the ones I had warmed up, put the rest back in the fridge disappointed. He walked in right as I got done and said "I don't like the way those turned out" I said they tasted like normal grilled ribs, and he says "no, I used that drum smoker you made".

He's a life-long offset guy, owns a big, old school Oklahoma Joe's offset and uses straight wood. I was confused so had to walk out and see what exactly he did, and this is what I find:
2011-01-08_163614.jpg

Not the best picture, but each one of those hickory logs are probably a foot and a half to 2' long. He's dang lucky they never caught, instead of average grilled ribs he would have ended up with some nasty over-smoked ribs.

Shook my head, closed the lid, i'll clean it out tomorrow. Guess I'll head back and get a few more slabs so I can show him how to smoke poor man style :laugh:

My dads a great cook but don't know how to smoke a thing. He would be asking where to put the water to boil. Love the man but theres no helping him with this.

thats classic right there tell next time just one long at a time on the fire lol

Back