What got you into catering?

In searching for catering business information one of the things people don't talk enough about is the marketing your business. It is so important to keep your name out there, that means networking. Networking is just a complicated word meaning talking to people.
catering.357161758.jpg

My life was much like Meadman's in restaurants for over 40 years. Was Executive chef at an exclusive beach side beach and tennis club in FL for 15 years and had a stroke. Docs said I need to quit. Went back to work for 6 more months and had 2 more strokes within an hour. Docs put me out to pasture early. That was 02 been hunting and fishing for the last 7 years and got bored.My great grandfather and grandfather taught me how to smoke meat and fish when I was little and I decided last year to try vending and it grew into catering and festivals.

Started out cooking for our church functions, then doing a few fund-raisers for church, then birthday parties for our family, then birthday parties for friends families, then weddings, then work parties, then parties for people we didn't know, then...

It kinda snow-balls and before you know it - you're "catering".

Glad it started!!!

BTW - "drop-offs" are BEST!!!!!!!

Started smoking stuff for people at home- thanksgiving, christmas, etc. and friends would ask me to smoke either turkey, chicken, or fish for their b'day parties and functions; some church folk then asked to do fundraisers, etc. etc.
Most importantly, I'm getting ready to retire in a few years and will need someting to keep me busy!
It's a load of work but I just love people telling me how great my stuff is/was!

Back