What do you use instead of the Slow n Sear?

Out of curiosity I used my Smokenator without the water pan a couple times. It worked good but I just use a Weber basket now. If it takes more than a few hours I go to the UDS.

I dont own a kettle myself, however I have cooked on my bro in laws indirect. He had an old ceramic deflector from a metal kamado. We propped it up on some bricks, and piled charcoal and wood chunks underneath. Cooked three racks o ribs on a rib rack.

I was going to bite the bullet and buy a SNS because I had received a 10% off coupon via email from ABC that is good through today. Went online to make purchase, but there was no place to enter code. Emailed their customer service and was told they decided to end their coupon campaign early, so they refused to honor it. I will definitely be trying some alternatives now.

I was going to bite the bullet and buy a SNS because I had received a 10% off coupon via email from ABC that is good through today. Went online to make purchase, but there was no place to enter code. Emailed their customer service and was told they decided to end their coupon campaign early, so they refused to honor it. I will definitely be trying some alternatives now.
A couple of links.
A longer burn process for kettles
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?25107-A-longer-burn-process-for-kettles
Weber kettle grill -- fire advice for ribs
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107446

Just for clarification, I believe they stopped honoring the 10% off coupon because they dropped the prices down. Again, my understanding, you are getting a better price now than you would have got last week with the coupon.

My coupon is supposed to be good thru 9/30 at midnight. If you’re going to market and advertise an incentive, then you should honor it.

I put my charcoal of briquettes on 1 side and use a Weber basket as a well.
For longer cooks, I cover 2/3 of the coal grate with aluminum foil and have the fuel on the 1/3 that's uncovered. This directs most of the airflow to the coals and gives me VERY stable temps for a long period. I used to put a water pan on the coal grate as well but have stopped doing that.

For those that use a basket instead of banking the coals, do you also use any other type if divider? For example, I was thinking about placing a couple of firebricks next to the basket to shield some of the direct heat. Seems like most use one or the other.

Back