What do you use for holding/resting

raypatrick

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Patrick
I've been watching al lot of youtube videos where the host holds a brisket overnight. What strategies do you use? Any tips are appreciated.

I have held in a yeti type cooler over night - assuming the cooler was warm before putting the meat in

Have also held in a oven that allowed you to set temp at 150 - my oven will only allow a low temp of 170 - have not tried that yet

Recently read of folks using a larger toaster type oven

I have a cambro and a warming drawer. If I'm just resting 1 I'll use the warmer. if more than 1 I'll use the cambro

It depends on how long the hold. I have tried roti coolers, cambros etc but the ninja turkey roaster is my favorite. 12+ hours without worrying about internal temps.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A polystyrene box, oven at its lowest setting, old fridge I don't use anymore (powered off). All work reasonably well but I'd go with the oven

I prefer something thermostatic vs. a cooler. With the cooler/standard Cambro you need top put your meat in there hot so that the temp will very slowly creep down. I don't like that since, for an extended hold, you need to put it in almost straight off the pit. To me, this promotes overcooking ... it doesn't always affect the outcome, but it is a variable that I don't enjoy.

I would rather allow, say a brisket, to cool on the counter until it gets in the 150'ish range ... then place it in a 170 oven (which many times is lower than 170). This gets me out of the carryover range relatively quickly.

At work, I would use a heated cabinet set around 145-150. That holds me well above my 135° minimum, and puts me in the preferred slicing temp range.

What can you fit in there ?

1 brisket or 2 pork shoulders or 2 plates of beef short ribs?

That looks like a great, reasonable priced way to rest larger cuts of meat

Hi - I think this one is the largest size out there, and as you noted an excellent price as well. Seems as reasonably constructed as any of the others. I can easily hold a large packer 2 butts or couple plates of short ribs no problem.

As previously stated it really depends on how much food you plan on holding. When I was running my BBQ food truck I was usually doing 4-6 hour holds, and my Cambro made this job very simple. It had racks to hold the hotel pans, and I also had ceramic warmers which helped to keep the temp at roughly 160F for that 4-6 hours.

If I just needed to hold a single brisket then I think that turkey roaster might be the easiest and safest way to go.

Turkey roaster for me as well. I struggled going from a cooler to this method at first. I finally discovered through trial and error to let the protein cool on the counter to close to my hold temp then throw in the roaster. If you throw the hot meat in a 140 deg roaster the carry over cook time is greatly extended and dries out the meat.

I'm building an outdoor kitchen this summer and plan to install something like this when I do:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5GKJJ...olid=2UTCE2S98SU5T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Turkey roaster for me as well. I struggled going from a cooler to this method at first. I finally discovered through trial and error to let the protein cool on the counter to close to my hold temp then throw in the roaster. If you throw the hot meat in a 140 deg roaster the carry over cook time is greatly extended and dries out the meat.

I'm building an outdoor kitchen this summer and plan to install something like this when I do:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5GKJJ...olid=2UTCE2S98SU5T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I like that a lot. Nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back