What do you look for in a rib rub?

Around this house, sweet generally wins everytime. However, I broke the mold and offered up good ol salt and pepper ribs once and the family went crazy. They never thought just good, slow cooked meat could be that good with something as simple as S&P.

To have a good seasoning, you need salt and pepper. After that, it's all just fluff.

Cherry

Why not try smoking with some cherry? That'll give you a touch of red, not to mention a great flavor. Another thing you might try is adding a bit of tomato powder to your mix. It'll add some red, and a subtle sweet flavor layer.

Hi I do use cherry wood alot, but the ribs are still dark.
Thanks DanB

I like Yardbird a lot. In fact, I used it on quite a bit of various items I cook around the house.

I typically add some Brown Sugar to the Yardbird for ribs. I also like to counter the sweetness with some spice, so I have been playing around with some various chile powders from Mexican markets here in El Paso.

My favorite so far is Guajillo chile, Brown Sugar and Yardbird mixed. I am playing around with amounts, but I really like the kick and blend with the sweetness that seems to compliment each other..

ok so im a Memphis guy and all... most of our sauces are very sweet. so we tend not to make our rub with a lot of sweet but their is some in it. as for color the best one I have seen is Killer hogs rub . he claims it has 4 kinds of paprika in it (which would explain the color) many of us Memphians in competition look for some front heat and a little back heat ie white pepper and a trace on red pepper. to sample a rub with IMO proper heat try plowboys yardbird as mentioned above. if you can get your Red (color) amounts right and the Heat balanced the rest is just flavor profiles to be use in moderation. I have also noticed in many commercial brands that the salt content is VERY high. possibly because salt is a cheap additive. but is necessary in a good rub.so I guess I will close in saying keep the salt balanced or a little low (it can always be added) study paprikas and their balance of color...test heat profiles of white black and red pepper. once you get that down work on a touch of sweet with white , brown and turbinado sugars and then the flavor profiles ie: garlic, onion, cumins , etc I hope this helps in your study.

ok so im a Memphis guy and all... most of our sauces are very sweet. so we tend not to make our rub with a lot of sweet but their is some in it. as for color the best one I have seen is Killer hogs rub . he claims it has 4 kinds of paprika in it (which would explain the color) many of us Memphians in competition look for some front heat and a little back heat ie white pepper and a trace on red pepper. to sample a rub with IMO proper heat try plowboys yardbird as mentioned above. if you can get your Red (color) amounts right and the Heat balanced the rest is just flavor profiles to be use in moderation. I have also noticed in many commercial brands that the salt content is VERY high. possibly because salt is a cheap additive. but is necessary in a good rub.so I guess I will close in saying keep the salt balanced or a little low (it can always be added) study paprikas and their balance of color...test heat profiles of white black and red pepper. once you get that down work on a touch of sweet with white , brown and turbinado sugars and then the flavor profiles ie: garlic, onion, cumins , etc I hope this helps in your study.

Great response thanks man, I will definitely look at different paprikas and sugars, I attached a picture of the baseline rub I'm starting with. Going to tweak it as necessary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 99
Hi I can't for the life of me to get a good red rib color, on my ribs.They always come out on the dark side.
I've used many different commercial rubs, with the same outcome,even tried using different temps
Can you recommend a rib rub that will give me a nice deep color I'm looking for?
Thanks DanB

Dan, do you wrap your ribs?

Getting a nice red color has more to do with the quality of the smoke than anything else. A real clean fire and good air flow through the pit. I use Post oak. My goto for ribs is a base of Valentinas hot sauce Slap Ya Momma and a touch of sugar for balance and course black pepper. I never wrap.

DSCF0197.jpg

About 4 years ago I found a "Carolina BBQ Rub" online and I've used it since, though I'm looking to make changes just for experimentation. It has a good look and taste on the finished product. For beef I add more garlic powder and let it flavor the meat longer.

3 tablespoons paprika.
2 tablespoons salt, preferably kosher/coarse salt.
2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper.
2 tablespoons ground cumin.
2 tablespoons light brown sugar.
1 teaspoon onion powder.
1 teaspoon garlic powder.
And, finally and depending on the intended consumers, 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper.

That's it. On pork I use a yellow mustard slather. On beef I normally prefer SPG or SPOG, but sometimes I use this rub, without the brown sugar, and it grills/smokes up pretty fine!

Dan, do you wrap your ribs?

Hi Some times I do wrap.Either way they still come out dark.
DanB

Getting a nice red color has more to do with the quality of the smoke than anything else. A real clean fire and good air flow through the pit. I use Post oak. My goto for ribs is a base of Valentinas hot sauce Slap Ya Momma and a touch of sugar for balance and course black pepper. I never wrap.

Hi Even when my ribs are done in the oven they still come out dark?
DanB

Hi Some times I do wrap.Either way they still come out dark.
DanB

Hi Even when my ribs are done in the oven they still come out dark?
DanB

What temp ,at grate, are you running on your smoker?

Hi I can't for the life of me to get a good red rib color, on my ribs.They always come out on the dark side.
I've used many different commercial rubs, with the same outcome,even tried using different temps
Can you recommend a rib rub that will give me a nice deep color I'm looking for?
Thanks DanB

Give Killer Hogs a try. The ribs come out with a great color.

v_zpskbwl0f9x.jpg

What's in your rub?? if it's paprika &/or chili powder heavy that could be the problem they suck up fat and will get dark when exposed to dry heat applying to much rub will also cause that issue. Rub is a seasoning to accent the smoke flavor and should me applied in moderation if you can not see the meat in detail through the rub your applying to much. Meat is not a delivery system for rub to your pie hole.

DSCF0202.jpg

Blu, not going to go against your wisdom, but the rib rub that I posted above, I use it heavily and it has paprika and chili powder. I still think he is either higher temp then he thinks or not getting a clean fire. Unless we all go over to his house, we'll never know.

Back