What do you do with the extra meat at a comp?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I've never been to a competition BBQ event, so my understanding is limited to what I've seen on a few TV shows. So pardon my ignorance here.

It seems that what I've seen, teams cook much more meat than they end up putting into the turn in box. Sometimes multiple racks of ribs, or a couple of butts, and only the best parts are used to go into the turn-in box.

So what do you all do with the rest? Does every comp include an on-site meal at your cooking site where the teams dig in to the product once the turn in box has been filled? Do all the teams walk around and sample each others' product? Do you give it to random spectators who show up with hungry looks on their faces? Do you just bag it and vaccuum seal it for later? And for the comps where there is a whole-hog cook, seems like there would be a lot of leftover . . .

Just curious! Thanks in advance.

The majority of contests do not allow you to serve to the public for health code reasons, so we normally divvy it up and take it home. Some teams try to sell the meat beforehand, or give it to sponsors.

Basically everyone just finds something to do with it.

Also dont expect to "sample" the other competitors. You might get a sample from a neighbor, you might offer a sample to a friend.

Frozen bbq reheats pretty well. You can sell it to fund contests. You can give it to your family and friends as thank yous.

Here in SC most of the comps are kinda fundraising event. The organizers furnish most of the meat usually 8-16 butts. Some have an optional rib contest which some sell you the ribs and others have you bring your own ribs. The organizers sell wrist bands or tickets for the public to come by and get samples from teams. Our first comp this year was the SC Bbq State Championship. It was sanctioned by the Southern Bbq Network. Friday night they furnished us 100 chicken wings. We served the public 2 wings for a ticket. Then they gave each team 8 butt, we took an additional 7 that they had left sense we were a new team, I felt like we should help them out. Then I took 6 racks of ribs to cook and turn in. People got a sample cup of pork for 1 ticket, the ribs I let family and friends help themselves to. Some will let you sell whole butts also for the tickets.

We also cater on the side so we take it and freeze it in seal a meal bags. I can add the rib meat in bbq beans, freeze the pulled pork in 1 pound bags and sell it and the chicken and brisket is not good froze and reused to me so it makes tacos, omelets, soups or what ever.
We have also gave it to friends, family or soup kitchens that help feed the poor.

My family does NOT want any more, most of my friends have had enough, and I don't really need that much in the freezer for a year before I throw it away.

Basically, we offer it to the organizer to give to the volunteers and if no takers, we throw it away and don't even try to transport it home.

HD rules preclude giving it to homeless shelters or to charities and, while I understand the reasoning, I feel bad about the situation as most of us follow very strict rules regarding hygiene and cooking.

We either pre or post sale the extra meat. I call it a "meat sponsor". We give our "meat sponsor" all extra meat and let them in trailer or site to see how we select what to turn in, how we cut, or how we sauce(not what we sauce with) but pretty much anything they want to watch after 10am, after all it is their meat. On the few occasions I havent sold the meat before or immediately after i donate the left over meat.

Our son is the 3rd member of our team, and his role is Designated Eater. Usually, he brings along a pack of his Designated Eater friends as well. After their work is complete, we're lucky to have a few ribs to take home. Sometimes we don't even get that because they bring little portable coolers and pack up whatever they were unable to devour on site! It does actually provide us some good feedback for judging what we turned in and having the company is always great, so we expect to cotinue the Designated Eater(s) tradition for the foreseeable future.

An old Texas cook named Stanley Wells once told me his neighbor's dog was tired of eating bbq during contest season.

Usually by the end of a BBQ contest we are looking for Italian or Chinese food for supper. We invite all our friends and relatives over after turn-ins for some Que. I feel it is a sin to waste it.

The Monday after my 1st comp the guys at worked asked what I wanted for lunch., I replied anything but BBQ.
I take left overs home and feed the family or freeze for later.

We take most of it home and give it to our sponsors.
My kids will DESTROY it too, if I take it home. They love the ribs and brisket especially.

We primarily have pork and brisket leftovers. We give some away to friends and eat some ourselves. When you repurpose the pork and brisket into non-bbq meals I don't ever tire of it. So tacos, philly cheesesteak, put it in pasta, etc.

Back