What did I do wrong on this turn in

I am still pretty disappointed with how we faired but I just have to chalk it up to a learning experience. I had no idea what I was getting into but I enjoyed it.

Enjoying the experience is the main thing. Everything else will come with time and experience. Set reasonable goals for yourself for each competition (e.g., finish in the top 50% and get a call, etc.) and increase you goals as you go. While it is certainly possible to hit a home run in your first at bat, it's more likely that you'll strike out, bu if you learn from the experience and improve each time you'll be up there accepting a trophy and check soon enough.

My burnt ends can get a little messy thats why I left them out of the box. They were consecutive pieces ecpt I moved one of them around. Next time I plan on cutting it down to box size before hand and then doing a lot better as far as trimming goes.

Everyone has already said everything I would from an appearance view...I would go to Sam's and buy some Comp. sized boxes and practiced cutting and placing at home, then post pictures of the different boxes, that way you get a wide opinion before your next comp.

Part of my problem this year was that my stepfather was on our team and I had to make a ton of compromises to keep things going smoothly in our camp. I am still pretty disappointed with how we faired but I just have to chalk it up to a learning experience. I had no idea what I was getting into but I enjoyed it.

The way we solved this was a month before the contest we all got together and cooked our receipes and brought them over to the house. We had a buddy of mine number them and keep the list of whose is whose in his pocket. Our family and freinds then decided by blind test whose was the best. The person that won each catagory was the person in charge of that dish at competion...no arguements. Plus we had a lot leftover to practice boxes with :)

We actually had a blind tasting before hand because I worked up a few rubs and a sauce. I have won every one but my stepfather still wanted to add his two cents to it. Oh well, next year we are going to compete in everything and I get the feeling like chicken and brisket will be on my hands.

With all the great competitiors in the Mo-Kan area, maybe you could "hang out" at a contest sometime, you'll pick up so much just from watching you won't have to open your mouth to ask questions.....
or drive down to Columbia this weekend....I'll show you what I know.....but I won't be responsible if Spicewine gives you a reach around.....

With all the great competitiors in the Mo-Kan area, maybe you could "hang out" at a contest sometime, you'll pick up so much just from watching you won't have to open your mouth to ask questions.....
or drive down to Columbia this weekend....I'll show you what I know.....but I won't be responsible if Spicewine gives you a reach around.....

Haha, you guys are great thus far. I think I found a new forum I can get into.

I wanted to add one little detail that contest, being that was your first.

those boxes they had us use for turn ins are not usual boxes, those puppies had a sharp angle, really made turn-ins hard. I know most turn-in's hit something, with nothing we could do about it.

We actually had a blind tasting before hand because I worked up a few rubs and a sauce. I have won every one but my stepfather still wanted to add his two cents to it. Oh well, next year we are going to compete in everything and I get the feeling like chicken and brisket will be on my hands.

My Dad does the same thing, We've been doin BBQ comps since I was 16 and I'm 31 now...It is the curse of cooking with family, We are like the OCC of BBQ...minus the idiot brother.:biggrin:

Just to butt in here... If you're cutting brisket down, put the uncut edge forward, not in the back. And what others said. :)

1. Never put the fat side on top.
2. Never align vertically.
3. It looks like you sliced in the wrong direction.

Also the cuts look un-even & raggedy. Having the jagged cut being the first thing that I see (along with the fat cap) does not make me want to grab the box from the Table Captain and start eating. If it did, then you get a 9 on appearance from me :biggrin:.

Back