What came first? School or comp

Comp first is what I wanted to hear. BUT something in me says that entering a contest that you are not prepared for is like taking a knife to a gun fight. I think I understand everyone who said that they got more out of a class after competing. With some experience under your belt you know what questions to ask. Thanks to all who have commented. I think I will look for a team to join/help/gopher/whatever ASAP.
Try a backyard event and you will get a feel for what is happening.

I started by taking the judging class, and then went out and did a backyard and then a real contest I would say get your feet wet before you go to a class, you will get more out of it after you have an idea of what is going on.:thumb: good luck

OK just joined the FBA. Registered for the Boots and BBQ comp in Starke FL. Should have some fun provided no speeding tickets on the way!!:eusa_clap

Just started competing in 2003, first contest 1st in Ribs, 5th in Butt, 16th in brisket...There were 14 team entered.

2nd contest GC. Never took a class, self taught, never wanted to be beholding to anyone else, accutal or percieved as that may be, for whatever success I have had, as limited as that has been...................Just to proud and arrogant to do otherwise I guess.

ive yet to take a class. its probably not a bad idea considering the first comp i did was a joke. we went and had a basic idea of what to do but the guy next to us was giving us info on how to present the food and was lying to us the entire time. he told us NOT to sauce anything and he also told us that garnish in our boxes would DQ us. we took his advice and he loved the fact that he sabotaged our turn ins. well we still beat him with a 4th in chicken and 8th in brisket. but you could take a lot of the guess work out of it by hitting a class first

Chiming in, do a few comps first before taking the class because if you start with the class you wont really appreciate all the little tid-bits and you wont know where to
adjust.

Also, I highly suggest judging a few competitions, sanctioned competitions, before
competing or EARLY on. It's very tough to understand the mark to hit (ala.
understand the level of competition) if you've never seen what comes across the
table.

2 cents

We did the judging class first. That is where you learn the rules of the game. You need to have a strong understanding of the rules and what the judges look for.

Go to a few comps and talk to the cooks. Friday night is usually better. Many are willing to share the basics. Also a good way to make some new freinds.

At your first comp, ask to be pared with a mentor team.

We have not taken a class yet, but learned alot from freinds we made along the way and practice, practice, practice. No GC, but a few calls.

Back