what brand St Louis Ribs do you like to smoke?

Quint

Full Fledged Farker
I typically get Smithfields because the are readily available in all the local grocery stores but, I have found lately that they are just to fatty. I'm not enjoying the final product at all with all the fat. What brand are the bbq brothers and sisters using to smoke your perfect St Louis ribs?

My favorite commodity brand ribs to cook are Prairie Fresh All Natural, but I've gotten some pretty nice Smithfield ribs in the latter half of this year as well. They seemed to be really nicely marbled the times I bought them, but not to the point of being "too fatty".

I would say I most often cook IBP, because that's what Sam's tends to have.

I've seen my local Kroger carrying Swift pork products, not so much now as when they first started back in late summer, but I was pretty impressed with those.

Been using Smithfield for quite awhile now, since that is about all I can find around here. Other than the odd rack now and than they have been fine. I just trim the excess fat off if I get a rack that needs it. If I happen to stumble across a rack of local raised or higher quality ribs they are usually priced higher than I am willing to pay for pork ribs.

I don’t mind the Swift ones from Costco. Otherwise I don’t really know what I’m getting at the grocery as it’s privately labeled. Even the local butcher is just selling packaged meat that’s really not any different. I should try to source some local stuff but time, effort, etc…

I've had good luck with the Meijer brand. Not sure who makes them, but Swift I know does their beef. .

I go more by how they look. Lately I've been finding good ones at Food Lion.

Smithfield isn't allowed in my house.

Prairie Fresh mostly,,,then Smithfield,,,,
I have preferred IBP cryovac 3 pac spare ribs and then trim,,,
I like them when I can find them

Just realized you specifically asked for St Louis style ribs - I never buy pre trimmed because I do a better job of it, and I work cheaper :thumb: I use deboned spare rib trimmings for sausage grind, which it’s great for. Especially now, pre trimmed ribs are a good bit more money…not uncommon to see them at $4-5/lb when I can buy full spares for < $2.50/lb, which wind up being the same or less money per slab compared to the smaller pre trimmed slabs.

I typically get Smithfields because the are readily available in all the local grocery stores but, I have found lately that they are just to fatty. I'm not enjoying the final product at all with all the fat. What brand are the bbq brothers and sisters using to smoke your perfect St Louis ribs?

I thought that I was the only one noticing this. I’ve been seeing the same.

I buy Sam's Club and just cut them down but do not know what brand they are but never been disappointed .

The few times I've bought pre-trimmed St. Louis I've been disappointed in the trimming. I can only find frozen and always get at least one an idiot has trimmed backwards. Leaves me with the tips and cuts off most of the bones with a bandsaw.:mad:

I've found this with multiple brands.:mad2:

I really liked Tyson but, then for years I couldn't find them. I noticed Aldi is carrying them now. I still have a bunch of ribs from Creekstone

I thought that I was the only one noticing this. I’ve been seeing the same.

I normally buy whatever, but a couple weeks ago I bought two slabs of smithfield and they were incredibly fatty. So much so my wife wouldn't hardly eat them.

Back