What are the top 10 to 15 BBQ competitions?

why does this one stand out for you?

I would have to ask the same thing. I don't know about this year, but in previous years there was a waiting list to get into New Holland, other than that I don't know much about that comp. I haven't heard anything good or bad about it.

My two cents for the top 15 comps:
Pork in the Park - Salisbury, MD
Roc City Ribfest - Rochester, NY

They may not be the biggest competitions, but they are VERY team friendly events. That is what our team looks for in a competition.

I'm from NC so in my area it would by Blue Ridge BBQ Festival in Tryon. NC and Hog Happenin in Shelby, NC...a new contest that is growing really fast and I'd love to see it in about ten years would be the Eastern NC BBQ Throw-Down in Rocky Mount NC!!!!

I would have to ask the same thing. I don't know about this year, but in previous years there was a waiting list to get into New Holland, other than that I don't know much about that comp. I haven't heard anything good or bad about it.

They may not be the biggest competitions, but they are VERY team friendly events. That is what our team looks for in a competition.

New Holland is very well run. The organizers and competitors are top notch. I enjoy seeing friends (some of which seem kinda like family). A few of us get together and have an after "gathering". I dont want to hyjack this thread but have always wondered what makes a comp " special".

Try the Hammond Blues and BBQ in Hammond, LA in March each year. It's difficult to get in, but it is one of the best contests anywhere. I'd also try and cook a contest in Texas to see how you rate in brisket.

. I dont want to hyjack this thread but have always wondered what makes a comp " special".

Good question. Coming down from Alaska my priorities are a little off. My goal would to be find two competitions or a competition and cooking class on back-to-back weekends. Bottom line is the $$$$...

Hopefully I find several of these events to choose from. My next priority would be to insure I can find a grill or two. Then items like tents, tables, etc…. I will use this site to beg and borrow. I will try and use the barter system for these items. Alaskan salmon, moose etc...

I want to compete against the best! Granted I am new to this but I am very confident and am interested in competing against the best teams. I will be only doing this one or twice a year. To me, taking 5th place against the best is better than taking 1st in some lesser event.

When I leave the wonderful state of Alaska (2014), you will see a lot more of me. I have the BBQ bug and can’t wait to hit two or three events a month. Until then, I have to be picky on the events I comedown for.

Hope all this makes sense and a big thanks to those of you that have already responded to my question.

Troy
Bear Naked BBQ
Palmer Alaska

3rd largest BBQ contest in the country would be...??? Anyone know? Usually 190 teams. A long time semi-famous contest thanks to Kingsford.

American Royal would be first and MIM would be second. GAB used to be 3rd, but hasn't for the last couple of years.

On the list of top comps to cook at one that I would NOT recomend is North Kansas City. Overflowing outhouses, noisey, cheap generators, quiet time not enforced, just not a fun time :mad2:.

why does this one stand out for you?

New Holland is very well run. The organizers and competitors are top notch. I enjoy seeing friends (some of which seem kinda like family). A few of us get together and have an after "gathering". I dont want to hyjack this thread but have always wondered what makes a comp " special".

Here's my take on why new holland is so great.

The setting. We are scattered thru a really nice park. Not in laid rows like cattle at the typical contest. Has more the feel of a campout, family reunion. Once your in your in when you get a spot , the same location/ spot every year as long as you keep reregistering . Its located in the middle if amish country. When I'm looking out from my sitevwhen prepping my meat every so often a horse and buggy go by. The motels are literally onsite. Across street is an Olympic sized swimming people that the teams haveFREE access to all weekend including the day after event. This might be more personal to me but sat nightnafter awards instead of rushing home we go a few of us and our families have a tradition to go out to dinner.the laughs from this group are endless and priceless. We stay the next day and hit the amish buffet and then th pool and go home. Probably slot more that I haven't mentioned including a team pot luck sat nite etc. 72 teams is the limit their is a waiting list to get in, how many contests can say that?

The ones I've been and cooked at that I like, in no particular order, are: Dillard GA, Smokin' on the Suwannee in Live Oak FL, Smoke on the Water in Winter Haven FL, Best of the Best in Jasper GA, Tryon NC, Felda FL (RIP), Harpoon in VT, American Royal in MO, Newnan GA, Plant City Pig Jam FL, of course the Jack but it's tuff to get in, Greenwood SC, Barnesville GA...

3rd largest BBQ contest in the country would be...??? Anyone know? Usually 190 teams. A long time semi-famous contest thanks to Kingsford.

American Royal would be first and MIM would be second. GAB used to be 3rd, but hasn't for the last couple of years.

GAB hasn't been over 200 teams in three years. This year was only 80 teams. Answer is Great Lenexa BBQ Battle.

Are there any KCBS contests over 200 teams other than the Royal?

Here's my take on why new holland is so great.

The setting. We are scattered thru a really nice park. Not in laid rows like cattle at the typical contest. Has more the feel of a campout, family reunion. Once your in your in when you get a spot , the same location/ spot every year as long as you keep reregistering . Its located in the middle if amish country. When I'm looking out from my sitevwhen prepping my meat every so often a horse and buggy go by. The motels are literally onsite. Across street is an Olympic sized swimming people that the teams haveFREE access to all weekend including the day after event. This might be more personal to me but sat nightnafter awards instead of rushing home we go a few of us and our families have a tradition to go out to dinner.the laughs from this group are endless and priceless. We stay the next day and hit the amish buffet and then th pool and go home. Probably slot more that I haven't mentioned including a team pot luck sat nite etc. 72 teams is the limit their is a waiting list to get in, how many contests can say that?

Don't forget the handmade ice cream

My bucket list includes the contest in Washington, DC, the chili cookoff in Terlingua (but probably not to cook), the contest in Sedona, AZ if it happens next year, Harpoon in VT, going back to Traders Village and a contest in the PNWBA area and a FBA event. My favorites are Dillard, GA, Hammond, LA, Pass Christian, MS (2009 only, one year wonder), Pesacola, FL, the American Royal and I really enjoyed Tecumseh, OK (cookies, cinnamon rolls and really friendly folks), Delight, AR -- I guess I haven't been to a bad contest in a while! Contest I'm most looking forward to this year -- Amelia Island, FL.

My bucket list includes the contest in Washington, DC, the chili cookoff in Terlingua (but probably not to cook), the contest in Sedona, AZ if it happens next year, Harpoon in VT, going back to Traders Village and a contest in the PNWBA area and a FBA event. My favorites are Dillard, GA, Hammond, LA, Pass Christian, MS (2009 only, one year wonder), Pesacola, FL, the American Royal and I really enjoyed Tecumseh, OK (cookies, cinnamon rolls and really friendly folks), Delight, AR -- I guess I haven't been to a bad contest in a while! Contest I'm most looking forward to this year -- Amelia Island, FL.

That's a great list, Candy. :thumb: Canada would be cool, too.

Dillard is arguably Georgia's most prestigious KCBS contest, but it is historically difficult to get into because many more teams want in than the venue has space for. It has become easier since they leased another field last year, but nonetheless I would advise anyone who is interested in cooking OR judging at Dillard to phone the organizers first and check on availability.

It took us four years to gain a spot at Dillard, and I wouldn't give it up for three times the entry fee. Dillard is not a contest where you can just drop a check in the mail and assume you are in.

There is something very special about competing in Lake Placid NY on the Olympic Speed Skating oval on the 4th of July. Dmitry roll's out the red carpet

This is at the top of our list... Plus, you get to drink Russian vodka if you know who the guy is that is carrying the backpack... :becky:

Back