What’s your preferred smoked beef for chili?

Thanks!
I like guajillo and acnhos, are New Mexican the same as hatch chilis? I like those too, but they, like jalepnos can have a wide variance of heat. Just meat and chilis? No onions, tomatoes or garlic? What do you use for stock, or liquid?
JD

Hatch are a New Mexican chile that people usually associate with green chiles, but they can be red if allowed to ripen. For making chili you want the reds ones. And even guajillos can be considered a New Mexican type chile, but maybe a little smokier. Since NewMex types tend to be somewhat mild, I always add 2 or 3 jalapeños. And yes I use onions, tomatoes, even some bell and/or sweet peppers if I have them, garlic, oregano, salt, and usually a dash of cumin.

Hatch are a New Mexican chile that people usually associate with green chiles, but they can be red if allowed to ripen. For making chili you want the reds ones. And even guajillos can be considered a New Mexican type chile, but maybe a little smokier. Since NewMex types tend to be somewhat mild, I always add 2 or 3 jalapeños. And yes I use onions, tomatoes, even some bell and/or sweet peppers if I have them, garlic, oregano, salt, and usually a dash of cumin.

Thanks!
Sounds great!
JD

Maybe I overlooked it but don't remember anybody mentioning the usual meat used in CASI chili comps. Mock Tender.

Back