Difference between turkey and beef chili?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey folks,
I trying to dive into chili and up May game from just hacking at a little of this and a little of that. Also trying to get a handle on using dry and fresh chilis, seasonings etc.
Tomorrow I’m making smoked turkey chili.
Next week I’m making smoked beef chili.
What things would you do differently between the two?
Thanks in advance!
JD

Prefer beef/pork chili but have a chunk of smoked turkey breast in the freezer. Thinking about making beef/pork/turkey chili over the holidays. Variety of fresh peppers and plenty of beans...white, black, and red.

I did 50/50 ground turkey and ground beef once and i honestly couldn't tell the difference other then the slight difference in meat color. If i wasn't looking i wouldn't even know if the spoonful as all beef or all turkey. That said, i did use beef stock like always. In hindsight, i could have probably used cardboard, or worse Beyond meat, and wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I love when lovers of chili contemplate arguably one of the fantastically farknebest bowls of hallowed goodness. History, tall tales, books, clubs, contests surround chili. Sometimes I follow an exact recipe, most times not, sometimes I rehydrate and blend and sometimes I buy Bueno Red Chile in freezer case. There's absolutely no way I could ever cook chili all the different ways possible. But that's where the fun is. Make it up make it your own.

As for seasonings I've used home made and add extra spices. To taste, not from notes.

Bride: "16 this is good what did you use?"
Me: I just seasoned until the ghosts of my ancestors whispered in my ear, Enough my child "

When I make chili I use a bunch of fresh chiles, as many different varieties as I can find. Hot, medium & mild, varying the amount of habaneros added is a good way to control your heat level.

e1A2Ydz.jpg

I love when lovers of chili contemplate arguably one of the fantastically farknebest bowls of hallowed goodness. History, tall tales, books, clubs, contests surround chili. Sometimes I follow an exact recipe, most times not, sometimes I rehydrate and blend and sometimes I buy Bueno Red Chile in freezer case. There's absolutely no way I could ever cook chili all the different ways possible. But that's where the fun is. Make it up make it your own.

As for seasonings I've used home made and add extra spices. To taste, not from notes.

Bride: "16 this is good what did you use?"
Me: I just seasoned until the ghosts of my ancestors whispered in my ear, Enough my child "

I understand.
Love your quote.
I’m on a quest to learn all I can about making chili, especially about how to use chilis. Today my kitchen will be a good lab. Tasting several different chilis both dried and fresh.

I’m really enjoying learning about the history and regional origins and differences.

I’ll report back on today’s smoked turkey chili.

Thanks everyone!
JD

Last edited:
I almost always use some kind of beef, sausage, turkey blend when making chili. Lately I've been substituting turkey in many dishes that call for beef. Wally World has 1lb rolls of 85/15 ground turkey for $2.54ea. That's a bargain IMO. It works great in chili.

When I make chili I use a bunch of fresh chiles, as many different varieties as I can find. Hot, medium & mild, varying the amount of habaneros added is a good way to control your heat level.

e1A2Ydz.jpg
On the same page regarding fresh chiles/peppers. Put them through a food processor before. It's just not the same as hand cutting them. It's an investment of time leaving the peppers/onion/garlic a bit chunky. The end product is worth it IMO.

Might make a pot over the holidays.

Hello friends,
As promised, my kitchen was a laboratory yesterday.

I started w/ roasting, skinning, dicing and tasting several peppers. The Poblano was very flavorful in an earthy way. The Anaheim was mild but had little flavor, same w/ the yellow chilis. The red bell was fruity, sweet and had that distinct bell pepper favor but sweeter and more mild than greens. The yellow and orange bells were slightly sweeter but less flavorful.

I toasted, stemmed and seeded my dry chilis. The Ancho tased similar to the Poblanos obviously because they are Poblanos. The Guajillos and New Mexicans were each subtly different in ways that are difficult to describe. Surprisisngly to me, they had very little heat. I wonder how much variation there is among chilis of the same variety. In other words, even though I found the chilis in these packages to be mild, might I bump into a package where they are significantly more hot? If that's the case, I'll need to taste each package of chilis I purchase before adding to recipes.

For the smoked turkey stock, I started w/ 32 oz of turkey stock I had in the freezer from Thanksgiving. I added two more cartons of store bought turkey stock. To that I added two smoked turkey winds, a smoked drumstick and a some smoked turkey tails. I brought to a boil and lowered to a simmer for three hours. I removed the turkey pieces and allowed to cool, meanwhile keeping the stock on low simmer. I reserved three cups of stock for the chilis. I removed the meat from the bones, sorted out pieces of fat and skin and added the meat back into the stock.

I cut up the steamed & seeded chilis into strips and put them in sauce pan w/ the stock, brought to boil and turned to heat down to low. Mean while I cubed my smoked turkey breast, roasted and diced 2 onions and a small head of garlic.

I placed the chilis and stock in blender w/ the garlic, some ground coriander and cumin. According to my base recipe, I toasted 8 corn tortillas, to them up and added them to the blender as a thickener. I also added the leaves a bunch of fresh sage. They were pureed along w/ the chilis and garlic in the stock and added to the stock w/ the turkey I removed from the parts. After simmering for 30 mins I tasted the stock w/ chilis and turkey. I was surprised at how good it tasted. I would have been very happy to serve it as it was. The dried chilis added such nice complex earthy flavor that complemented the smoked turkey very well.

After adding the cubbed breast meat and diced fresh roasted chilis and onion, I continued w/ my tinkering. I added more coriander, cumin and rubbed sage, two cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes and several cans of Great Northern beans and simmer for 30 mins. I was surprised that the addition of the tomatoes seemed to accentuate the flavor of the garlic. At that point I realized it needed some more heat so I added two chipotle chilis in adobo which was exactly what it needed. I was also surprised how the flavors became more subtle and mild as it sat in the cast iron Dutch oven on a very low simmer for two hours.

I served w/ toasted corn tortilla strips, and sour cream, shredded cheese and sliced jalapeños on the side. Everyone was very please, including myself.

I look forward to my next batch of chili. I will be adding more chilis and less tomatoes. I'll also keep the meat in larger chunks so after it breaks down w/ cooking we'll still have something to bite into.

I wonder how different the flavor would be if instead of soaking the chilis and pureeing them, I ground them into a powder? Also, I had read many comments in other places where folks said they didn't like smoked meat in chili. Seeing how well the chilis complemented to smoked meat I can't imagine not liking it. I'm certainly planning on smoking some beef specifically for my next batch of chili.

Thanks much everyone!
JD

I toasted, stemmed and seeded my dry chilis. The Ancho tased similar to the Poblanos obviously because they are Poblanos. The Guajillos and New Mexicans were each subtly different in ways that are difficult to describe. Surprisisngly to me, they had very little heat. I wonder how much variation there is among chilis of the same variety. In other words, even though I found the chilis in these packages to be mild, might I bump into a package where they are significantly more hot? If that's the case, I'll need to taste each package of chilis I purchase before adding to recipes.
Sounds like a very successful batch.

Never used dried chilis so not sure if they vary, but guessing they might. Fresh peppers definitely vary. Think we've all run into that with fresh jalapenos purchased at different times or different stores...some are fairly mild while others are pretty hot. Same with habaneros...some are pretty hot, others screaming hot. Have noticed a variance with serranos and other peppers.

It's why I like using fresh peppers. Easy to taste test them to see what you're dealing with, to judge how much of each type you want to add. No need to taste every pepper...just one of each variety purchased for the batch.

Pepper size is an indicator of heat level to use when choosing them at the store. Generally the smaller they are compared to others of the same type, the hotter they are.

Back