THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm yet to find a good BBQ programme on TV (or download), the "Vs" comps were the closest. I find most of the Grilling programmes boring for some reason.

As for other cooking shows I find Iron Chef and Dinner Impossible quite entertaining but you cannot beat a good eveing of Top Chef!!

It's not a BBQ show, but i enjoy watching the show where the 4 people have mystery items in a basket and have to come up with meals on the spot.
then they get judged, and one gets the boot, then on to the next round. :wink:

Now I watch more cooking shows on PBS, like "America's Test Kitchen" or
"Ming Tsai" and "Everyday Food" and a couple others.

It seems like many of the shows on The Food Network are just for
entertainment; rather than to actually teach you something.

I like the PBS shows alot my fav is the test kitchen:-D

BBQ reviews

I,m new here. Love the informative stuff!!I watched one segmentof the food channel where they listed the best BBQ places in the U.S.One of those was Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City--having been born in Independence, I've eaten at Bryant's all my life.I agree that they are one of the BEST!I believe you haven't had BBQ until you've sampled their's.Anybody else out there been there? Keep up the good tips!

Maxwell7

I love Triple D! Someday I am gonna roadtrip and hit several of those places.

Alton is the best thing out there. I learn a ton from watching his shows.

Sandy is gonna kill someone with her recipes someday... mark that one down.

Ina can cook. I get tired of Paula and the Neelys and I really get tired of RR.

Giada... oh Giada... You know there is a website out there about her cleavage?

and Maxwell7, could you please tell me which Bryant's is good? I have tried a few up there and been SERIOUSLY disappointed. My wife and I actually got sick from one of them last time we went up. uugh...

I used to watch FN in its infancy..back when Mario Batali, Sarah, Ming and even Michael Lomonaco where on. Bobby has Jaqui as his cohost on his show (that was fun).
They somewhat lost me when they started focusing less on food and more on destinations, personalities and contests. I guess they moved beyond what I'm looking for and that's ok. I'll still watch Alton and that's about all.
For BBQ shows, it seems all that I can find is Raichlen (talk about a guy who's not camera-friendly) and Rob Rainford (who BBQs with gas and wood chips).
Everything I learn seems to come through you guys...

#1 the Neely's suck, and are unwatchable, and also have as much to do with Interstate as I do. Bobby Flay is good for grilling but not true BBQ, and he even says that on the Throwdown show, and he usually loses. Alton Brown is my fave on Food Network, I think because he gets everything down to tacticle, scientific reasons.

I agree with Jaberwabee on this one completely.

Neely's....can't do it.

I used to like B Flay a lot. But he always cooks on that monster gasser. I just don't do gas anymore....(no offense to you gassers....just not for me). I like "Throwdown", especially when he loses....but did any of you see the "BBQ Throwdown Special"? I think it was either 1 or 2 hours. There were 3 famous (although I couldn't tell you their names...my bad) "Q'ers" that were going up against him. Here's when I lost it......they were all cooking on Weber Ranch Kettles with like 3-4 chimneys of charcoal on them. Cookin pork tenderloin, red snapper, and something like mango, pineapple 'kabobs. I think they cooked the tenderloin for like 10-15 minutes and the snapper was cooked over a searing high heat.

............er.......isn't that GRILLING? Nothing wrong with grilling, mind you, but it was a BBQ Throwdown. WTF???

My definite favorite is Alton's Good Eats. I've learned a TON from that guy. I like the science of it too. I know WHY something does what it does because of Mr. Brown. I record all episodes on the DVR. My wife hates it. :mrgreen:

I like the BBQ competition shows......or is that on another station?

You have to know what the Food Network is and is not. It is not a show that teaches you how to cook hence it being named The Food Network and not The Cooking Network. The channel is about food in general and the producers come from many other directions than simply from how to prepare it.

Personally, I wish they would balance the programming out a bit and put more true cooking shows back on there. But odds are they're not. This is an entertainment business and the majority of viewers find shows like "Iron Chef", "Chopped", "Food Challenge", "Unwrapped" a lot more "entertaining than a person in a kitchen setting going step by step how to prepare something.

Yes the Kneely's are absolutely horrible. I cannot tolerate that show.

I enjoy Bobby Flay's Throw Down, Alton Brown, Diners/Drive In & Dives, Chopped and looking at Giada's breasts. :lol: But I don't expect to get anything very technical out of the show like I did when it first started.

I agree the Neeley's suck A$$ Our favorite show on foodnetwork is Dinners,Drive-ins and Dives. Guy is the Man and one of the reasons we continue to watch Foodnetwork . Unwrapped is pretty good too.

Alton is about the only person I watch on the network. Anyone remember Feasting on Asphalt.

Oh, and occasionally diners, dives, and drive ins, or something like that.

I think the reason you see a move away from the 'how to do it' shows is that folks don't buy the books and swag from those shows. They buy Rachel Ray, Emeril and Rachel Ray. There were a lot of excellent chefs that offered very good cooking and kitchen advice, folks like Sarah Moulton, Mario Batali, Ming Tsai, Wolfgang Puck et al... But their books, pots, videos and swag did not sell as well as Rachel and Paula. I gave up on it, I do still like Good Eats, as the info is often pretty good and the schtick is still good. I like DDD at least in part because Guy Fieri is nuts, and the food he features is food I like.

Ditto on what landarc said.^^

I learned a lot in my early years from watching Wolfgang. My first set of kitchen pans were his ss series.

Back