Wet aging brisket for comps

Congrats Paul. Those are my findings as well!

I start defrosting mine the Thursday, 8 days from a contest in the fridge.

Sled, kill date and pack date are 2 different terms. I go at least 35 days from pack date. Up to 42 days, then I size and freeze.

Congrats Paul. Those are my findings as well!

I start defrosting mine the Thursday, 8 days from a contest in the fridge.

Sled, kill date and pack date are 2 different terms. I go at least 35 days from pack date. Up to 42 days, then I size and freeze.
Which date is on the outside of the case? The pack date?

I would say kill date. Maybe someone can educate me, but the only reason I can think that the kill date and pack date would be different is if there was some dry aging going on.

Scottie--what are you talking about when you say sizing? Thanks!

I don't have a 12 # brisket matched up with a 18 # brisket for a comp. I try and get them to match in size. I also keep some of the smaller one's to the side for those contests that I am getting in to later and don't have a full afternoon of prepping...

If they are too small, they go into my junk freezer and I cook them up whenever... I like to use those when I am trying a new rub.

I would say kill date. Maybe someone can educate me, but the only reason I can think that the kill date and pack date would be different is if there was some dry aging going on.

I'm under the impression that once killed, they hang the animals for a couple days to allow rigor mortis to run its course.

Back