Went Christmas Shopping Today!!

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Professor Dickweed
(Note to Moderators: I could have put this in Greg's Venture Forum, Northern IL Bash thread, Woodpile, or here in QTalk since it is Christmas and food related. If it needs moving, please do. I just didnt know where was best)

Took some time to drop in on an old friend, that I need to do more often, if we could just slow the world down a little bit (for all of us)

Stopped in for a visit to Coal City Specialty Foods to see Greg (Parrothead), Bill and Kim. I love this place. I was there for, oh, about an hour or so, but needed to go not only for my own Christmas stuff to do, but to get the hell out of their way.

Nice steady flow of traffic, Greg was busy grinding away, Bill was weighing out their next batch of product (sausage?) (quote of the day from Bill: Sage don't weigh sh!t) and Kim was busy running the front counter.

Steady flow of business, or so it appeared to me. She was pretty busy and I was just trying to stay out of her way. I wish I could have stayed around and helped Greg, but I had to go. Just walked in the door actually. Went to Mom's, stopped at Fannie Mae... ah, that is a different thread.

BOT

I love this place, 2. I literally forced myself to stop putting stuff in my basket. There is very limited inventory of stuff I can get here locally, so for the most part, its like a kid in a candystore for me. The BBQ/grilling aisle is complete from when I was there just in October with a great selection. I put off some purchaeses today that I will make in the Spring, as I will have the gasser going more than I do now. Specifically, I will be picking up the cedar wraps and the monster scallops.

Greg tried like heck to get me to buy the lion and camel burgers, and I was eyeballing the turtle and frog legs, but I stuck with more tame (or lame) forms of game (that rhymes) For those that have not read Greg Venture forum posts, the slogan of CCSF is "Get Your Wild Game On"

We exchanged Gifts and were on to shopping (some of what is pictured was part of Greg's gift to me. And as for me to him, lets just say I kept the tradition alive of nutting brothers I meat. Oh wait! Greg gave me his meat, and I paid for it!)

Sooooo,,,, here's what I got (pictured):
Hi Mountain BuckBoard Bacon Cure
Blues Hog (2)
@ 3/4# teriyaki jerky (this was literally flying out the door. Cop bought it before it went in the sales case, about 1.5#, and then ordered .5# more that would be done in a half hour (the FEC was pumping out jerky today))

Head's Red BBQ sauce (billm)
Pit Bull Hot Sauce Spice Rub (Greg loves the Pit Bull line after Bash II, and this product is brand new (and GOOD!))
Package of Corona battered Cod (thats what Greg called it). We're having that tonight.
Zatarain's Southern Chicken Coating
6# Boar's Head Ham
2 jars Boar's Head brown sugar glaze (1 for fatties)
Chorizo Chub
Breakfast Sausage Chub (both with be mixed together, with the glaze, for sweet and hot fattie)
Boars Head Prosciutto Polone (slices of prosciutto with mozarella rolled into spiral goodness. Slice and serve on cracker)

Not Pictured:
Tortunga Rum Cake (Key Lime: Can't belive I forgot the picture this, it was at the other end of the table)
Pound of Italian Sausage links
Pound of Polish Sausage links
Bottle of Sunflower Oil
.25# Peppered Pork Steaks/Sticks (a peppered pork snack that was flying off the shelf along with the Jerky. I might have the name wrong. Greg told me how to make them, but with how little I'm able to smoke, I might just preorder from them for a monthly fix :-D )

I think thats it.

That Christmas Ham will be awesome.

Thanks Greg, Bill, and Kim, and best of luck to you. I WILL be back!!

PS, My car driving home smelled awesome as the hot off the smoker jerky called to me the whole way home.

Opened it upon arrival, offered some to the wife. She said "Hell no, its probably Beaver Butt or something" I reassured her it was 100% beef jerky. I told her it was not the dehydrated crap you get for $2 at Menards checkout counter. She tried it, and liked it. Too much!! So I told hear it was actually Venison jerky, and she said "Yuck". I want it all to myself!!

Attachments

• 100_0928 (Small).JPG
    100_0928 (Small).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 126
Good write up Bill. How far from the Homestead is Greg's place? Hope you and yours enjoy the goods and have a great holiday season.

Good write up Bill. How far from the Homestead is Greg's place? Hope you and yours enjoy the goods and have a great holiday season.

Same to you and yours Pat

Gregs store is about 50 minutes, 40 if I speed, but I rarely do more than 5 over the limit.

With the Christmas songs station on today, it was a great way to get in the spirit.

I still got 2 packs of Jalepeno soup I bought in October that I'm dying to try.

You tell Greg he will be recieving orders from the UK when it's up.Zatarains is like gold dust around here, in fact the locals don't even know what it is.

Since nobody else seems to be willing to ask the question of the day.....what was in Greg's pants?

I'm looking forward to Greg getting the online store up!:)

I would gladly volunteer to be a Personal Shopper for the Brethren until then.

I got a quantity of freezer packs left over from trades with User MikeG.

If you want anything from Greg's I can pick it up and ship 2nd day. The meat will keep frozen in the styropacks I have.

Jorge, whats your address

:twisted:

I would gladly volunteer to be a Personal Shopper for the Brethren until then.

I got a quantity of freezer packs left over from trades with User MikeG.

If you want anything from Greg's I can pick it up and ship 2nd day. The meat will keep frozen in the styropacks I have.

Jorge, whats your address

:twisted:

How about I try to find the time to get up there in the spring, we stop by White Castle, and go see Greg?

For I'll end up in Papa Hogg's driveway

NTTAWWT...

Nice job of shopping! I spent the morning helping the wifey clean and then put a couple of butts on for Christmas at my sister's and roasted coffee. I smell like a combo of apple wood smoke, pork and coffee :rolleyes:

NTTAWWT...

Nice job of shopping! I spent the morning helping the wifey clean and then put a couple of butts on for Christmas at my sister's and roasted coffee. I smell like a combo of apple wood smoke, pork and coffee :rolleyes:

Fark. I'd hit that:icon_blush::eek::biggrin:

Beer battered Cod was awesome!!

I can truly say that that was the best fish I ever had

Thanks Greg, Bill, Kim!!

Back