welding help please

yes gas will weaken the metal but we are not talking high stress issues. yes its slow but we are not talkin production here either. we are talking home use. otherwise one will need several welders.

plenty of videos on youtube also Miller/Limcoln have training video. Also check with some of the community colleges they sometimes offer classes

If you can afford it, I would recommend getting a 220V unit, like the Hobart 187. While most of the companies claim you can do 3/16" on a 140Amp 110V unit, I would not be comfortable doing > 1/8". The penetration is just not there with a 110V unit. I started with a 125Amp 110V welder and moved up to the Hobart 187. It is night and day difference with penetration. As long as you stay with the big 3 (Miller, Lincoln and Hobart) you can't go wrong. As for parts on the Hobart, any local welding shop, Airgas, or Tractor Supply usually stock replacement parts.

If you are just looking to do around the house stuff, and only light gauge metal (like the stuff on a bbq) miller / lincoln electric MIG welders do a good job at a fraction of the price. Be sure you don't get a 220 unit, but the easy way to tell is to make sure the plug will fit in a normal outlet.
I would recommend sticking to a MIG welder as opposed to stick (arc) or gas welding / brazing. MIG is essentially a REALLY hot glue gun, and if you keep your working materials clean with a little practice you can pump out some pro looking stuff.
The biggest issue that you will run into is do you want to use shielding gas, or are you willing to accept the results of using a flux core wire. Using flux core means no shielding gas, but will result in a really messy surface area around the weld. Shielding gas (inert gas like CO2, or if you want the catalina wine mixer ((go see Step Brothers)) get an Argon mix) makes a beautiful weld, but means you will have to contact your local airgas company to get it. Hope this helps!

I have a Miller mig welder that operates on 110 volts. Sad part is it suggested that it is a 20 amp circut. I have a 30 am circut for plugging into for travel trailers ect.
I use the 30 am rv circut using a 15 amp rv reducing plug that turns into 110 volts.
My lil Miller welder likes having that 20 amp power when I am welding thicker metals.

The reason I suggested the Millermatic 211 is hat it is dual voltage. It can do the 220, but also can use 110 if you need to take it to weld someplace else. Since you are near Lincoln they also make a dual voltage unit. I would look strongly at that. I have had a couple of friends buy the Hobart 140 and they both had trouble with feeding issues. One went back on warranty twice, and still does not work properly. I am glad that Skidder has had good luck with his.

I had what would today be the Lincoln 180 / 220V unit until a thieving bas**** stole it from my storage unit. It also used shielding gas. I'm in agreement with the school of thought that you can turn it down if it's too hot, but you can't turn it up if you ain't got it to turn up! I was by no means a professional welder, but I made a pretty bead with that machine, and welded 1/4 just fine! I would highly recommend it!

Retired from the trades a few years ago. Welding calls for different things. But I still prefer a 220 Lincoln stick myself. It will take longer the a might or others but will produce a stronger weld for you r money. Turn up for thick and down for light. But if your messing with thin sheet metal only then a migs the way to go.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Welding can be very dangerous if you take a hobbyist approach to it. It's not only important to buy good equipment and to learn good technique but there are many safety concerns and that should be studied up on and followed to a "t". GL and weld safe :-D

I have one of these:
1276829233_100561460_1-Fotos-de--SOLDADORA-LINCOLN-AC-225-GLM-110220V-ORIGINAL-AMERICANA-1276829233.jpg

Its a Lincoln AC-225 GLM Stick unit. Would love a MIG but it does the job. Its the unit I learnt on too.

cheers

I would suggest a 220v MIG unit and get one with gas it is worth it. I have a Hobart and it is a fine machine. It has a Miller gun. You can get parts at TSC or our Northern Tool has them too. I think I have seen Hobart or Miller tips at Home Depot also, but not sure. I have a nice stick welder too. but since I got the MIG I have not plugged it in.

If you want to learn though, I would strongly suggest you go to either a welding supply store, craigslist, or lowes and find something along the lines of a Lincoln Tombstone 225. They are VERY affordable, versatile, and can be found anywhere. If you want a mig, get you one of those too, BUT, if you are really wanting to learn welding I must suggest you learn stick first.

I teach highschool kids how to weld and have tried many methods trying to teach it and the most successful techniques I've found was teaching stick first. Mig's are definitely easier to use and learn and what happens if a student learns on a Mig first, it takes them a LOT longer and it is much harder for them to ever get the knack for stick. The ones that learn stick first, BREEZE through learning mig and have better control and technique.

Just my 2 cents worth though. I know there are lots of ol tombstones around in our local craigslist from anywhere from 50 to 200 bucks.

Dude, you are in the backyard of one of the greatest welding manufacturers and welding schools, Lincoln Electric is on St.Claire, by 228th st. That is were I got my certification in TIG welding.

They sell the welders and have a welding school there.

Heck, I can come up one day and show you the basics. I have trained enough welders in my days as a fitter and machine builder.

As far as weak welds go, no process is stronger than another as long as you use the proper process for the job. You can get just as strong of a weld with GMAW as you can with SMAW or FCAW. Start off with properly prepared steel and you are a step ahead.

As far as gas welding goes, it is slow and the metal around the weld will be weaker than the weld itself. I don't know of anyone that uses gas welding for production. Too many variables to get a consistant weld. That being said, I can show you that too.

Just my 2¢.

Jeff
wow thanks for the generous offer. i will only be home for a couple weeks around christmas but i plan on giving welding a try and get serious about it in the summer. i really want to take classes or learn from someone experienced instead of just how-to videos mainly for the dangers that are involved with welding and i want to learn how to do it right. i will give lincoln electric a look for sure and i am sure i will be pm'ing you about it in the summer. do you happen to remember how much classes there cost and how many you took?

Welding can be very dangerous if you take a hobbyist approach to it. It's not only important to buy good equipment and to learn good technique but there are many safety concerns and that should be studied up on and followed to a "t". GL and weld safe :grin:
yes thats why i want to leearn from a professional and take classes and i can always supplement what i learn with online tutorials. i feel that is the best way to get started

How much do you want to spend on a welder?
the prices that have been listed in this thread are around what i would pay. definately since its my first one, i want a cheaper one just to learn on and for household and bbq things. i am going to give all the ones mentioned here a look.

thanks for all the tips:thumb:. definately makes it a lot easier to get started

wow thanks for the generous offer. i will only be home for a couple weeks around christmas but i plan on giving welding a try and get serious about it in the summer. i really want to take classes or learn from someone experienced instead of just how-to videos mainly for the dangers that are involved with welding and i want to learn how to do it right. i will give lincoln electric a look for sure and i am sure i will be pm'ing you about it in the summer. do you happen to remember how much classes there cost and how many you took?

yes thats why i want to leearn from a professional and take classes and i can always supplement what i learn with online tutorials. i feel that is the best way to get started

the prices that have been listed in this thread are around what i would pay. definately since its my first one, i want a cheaper one just to learn on and for household and bbq things. i am going to give all the ones mentioned here a look.

thanks for all the tips:thumb:. definately makes it a lot easier to get started
Do it once and be done with it. Go 220volt as good as you can afford and if you find it's not for you,you will have no problem selling it. But you won't. In my opinion it will be easier to sell a decent 220volt than a 110. Don't get me wrong 110's have there place too.

Back