Weekend cook, the long version

Holyp

Hi guys, had an interesting weekend and wanted to share.
So, last week I tried this new recipe for Short ribs. In a Dutch oven, put what ever root vegetable you can find (original recipe called for unpeeled, but that was too much for me).
I used carrots, potato, celery root, coriander root, leek, fresh garlic, yellow beet, head of garlic with some rosemary and thyme. Put the rack of short ribs on top of veggies, close the lid and let it go for 10-16 hours at 220 in the oven. Seemed scaringly dry, so I added a bottle of beer, increase d the heat to 240 and let it run overnight for nearly 12 hours in the oven.
This is befor

And this is after

Came out amazing, my seven year old said to me great meat dad, it came out so tender.

This week, I wanted to replicate the success, but modify it a bit, so I used lamb shanks

After an overnight in the oven, the house smelled amazing and it looked promising

So far, a nice plan.
So Friday my BIL picked up my Smoker and invited about 20 friends for a birthday party. He has done it once, only this time he moved to an apartment and was planning on doing it in the balcony.

Saturday on my way back from a beautiful day in the park enjoying a sunny break and looking forward to a late lunch of lamb shanks I get a call:

Come quick, the Smoker is on fire!

A minute later his wife calls crying, the food is gone, the Smoker is burning, everything is ruined.

They ended up using a fire extinguisher so using the Smoker again was not an option

So I stopped by my house and picked up my Weber go anywhere and rotisserie kit, he already had my Weber kettle. Also loaded the lamb shanks and called my BIL's wife to prepare rice.

I also brought a pack of stuffed spleen I had which is always a winner.

I Drove to a butcher and picked up a couple of chickens for the rotisserie cause who doesn't like chicken on a spinning stick.
Also asked for his kabobs, which initially said he's out, but seeing the desperation in my eyes, he made me some on the spot.
He ground some beef with lamb fat, fresh onion and parsley with some spices. Doesn't get fresher than this. Made them into little patties.

You take a pita bread (decent thickness can't be done with those ultra thin pitas) cut it into quarters and put the patty in each quarter.
Into a pre heated oven at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the pita is nice and crispy. A guaranteed success.
So I also picked up some fresh pita and drove to their place.
I was welcomed with a serious heavy scent of smoke as soon as I gotten out of the elevator, and two grim and depressed people. I think I managed to bring them up a bit. The evening went well and everyone with the exception of my BIL and his wife were happy.

So, this was my weekend, sorry for the long thread. Didn't have time to mention the perfect bone in rib eyes I had

But I will finish with an update from my garden. The almond tree is blooming, so spring is around the corner

Great save by the sounds,:thumb:
don't you love it when people are pleased with your food.

Holyp nice looking cooks and you got a lucky BIL after he lit the smoker on fire and then used a fire extinguisher on it :mad:

"Interesting weekend," indeed!

Food looks delicious, and the "rescue feast" sounds excellent. Thanks for the ideas...

Need to find (probably make) some of those patties and try the baked pita & meat option you mentioned.

Back