Weekday Brisket on the Weekend (Inspired by Czarbeque & Meat Church!)

Bacchus2b

is Blowin Smoke!
Czarbecue's recent post left me with both a need for vision correction and a desire to try out the Meat Church overnight brisket on my pellet pooper.

Loaded up with a 21 pound prime from Costco, I ran at 190 degrees for 12 hours and wanted a little darker color so I kicked it up to 250 degrees for two more hours before wrapping in Butcher Paper and continuing to cook until it was about 203 internal and was "all jiggly". Some thoughts on the method:

- Every pellet cooker is different. My FEC-100 is an insulated cabinet so it's very efficient. I didn't get as big of a smoke ring as I normally do and my assumption is because it doesn't have to work very hard to maintain 190 degrees inside the cabinet, so lower than normal air flow. I used very little pellets for a 20 plus hour cook.

- The brisket was very juicy and didn't shrink as much as usual; so the lower temp for longer time had some benefit.

- It was great going to bed and not worrying about what the brisket is doing. I can't control my smoker remotely, but I can program multiple cook times and temperatures.

- First time trying Meat Church rubs (Holy Cow & Holy Gospel). They look red in the bottle, but I got a great dark bark on the brisket (Pic below). Will definitely use again.

Here is a link to the Meat Church YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkU-I7e63E&t=126s

Prime Brisket Rubbed by David Miller, on Flickr

Prime Brisket Overnight by David Miller, on Flickr

Back