Wedding Reception For 100 People

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
I need to cost out a reception for 100 people, 80+ adults. The couple is asking for pork, chicken, and sides.

I know that typically I need to plan for 1# raw for each adult to account for loss due to fat rendering.

I am more looking for input on how many pans of each side to plan for?

Initial plan is baked beans, cole slaw, 5-cheese smoked mac and cheese, and either a garden or pasta salad, so 4 sides total.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A full size hotel pan of beans made with 2 10# cans of beans doctored up feeds 60-70 people on average. Cole Slaw I've found depends on the group, but roughly 3.5 gallons of slaw for 100. A full pan of mac n cheese will feed 40 people on average for us and if you add a pasta salad to that figure 2 pans.

A full size hotel pan of beans made with 2 10# cans of beans doctored up feeds 60-70 people on average. Cole Slaw I've found depends on the group, but roughly 3.5 gallons of slaw for 100. A full pan of mac n cheese will feed 40 people on average for us and if you add a pasta salad to that figure 2 pans.

HBMTN,

Thanks for the reply. The couple is going to call me this evening to set up initial details so this helps tremendously. Looking to be able to give them a ballpark estimate.

Mike

HBMTN,

Thanks for the reply. The couple is going to call me this evening to set up initial details so this helps tremendously. Looking to be able to give them a ballpark estimate.

Mike

Id be at $16.50 per person plus labor and tax. I charge a minimum of $450.00 labor for on site catering. This covers everything that is involved that would not be involved with a drop off i.e equipment, sterno labor for set up and maintain buffet, all the clean up of said equipment and repacking on our shelves. o many people undercharge for all the work involved with on site catering. I used to be the same way but got tired of it, if they don't want to pay me for the additional work I'll just drop the food off and let them handle the rest. Depending on how early we have to set up and how long we have to stay and what all we are doing while we are there the labor can be much higher. Sometimes we do complete event set up including tables, chairs, china, etc. and other time we simply show up and set up the buffet, serve an hour and leave.

Id be at $16.50 per person plus labor and tax. I charge a minimum of $450.00 labor for on site catering. This covers everything that is involved that would not be involved with a drop off i.e equipment, sterno labor for set up and maintain buffet, all the clean up of said equipment and repacking on our shelves. o many people undercharge for all the work involved with on site catering. I used to be the same way but got tired of it, if they don't want to pay me for the additional work I'll just drop the food off and let them handle the rest. Depending on how early we have to set up and how long we have to stay and what all we are doing while we are there the labor can be much higher. Sometimes we do complete event set up including tables, chairs, china, etc. and other time we simply show up and set up the buffet, serve an hour and leave.

So if I am reading this right, for the proposed menu you would charge $16.50/person + $450 before taxes.

I really appreciate all the input.

So if I am reading this right, for the proposed menu you would charge $16.50/person + $450 before taxes.

I really appreciate all the input.

Yes that is correct. In my early days I would only add $2.50pp for on site catering. After a few years I realized I was giving my time away. With the drop off I could do it myself and work was completed when I made the drop off. With on site catering I have so much additional work (6-12 hours) like arranging and loading everything needed to serve the food, I had additional costs like sterno, plates, etc. and additional items you normally use that you would not for a drop off. With on site catering I have to pay additional staff for helping, workers comp to cover the staff. Then I must pack up the tornado of dirty equipment get back to our headquarters and clean up everything then repack it away in our storage area. So now when I quote a onsite job I add labor to the job based on what the requirements are for that job. If they don't want to pay us for the work we offer them disposable chafers w/sterno for $15.00 each and we'll set them up and place the food in them and leave or they can simply order a drop off and we'll place it on the table and we're done. I think may barbecuer's need to start thinking like caterers do because I can tell you from experience that when your business grows past the point where you have a minimum set up and a smoker it gets expensive. You can charge the labor based on what you are comfortable with but that's where I would be. I should also add that I add 20% to my food pricing for on site vs a drop off because of the additional food it takes for those who eat large portions or seconds. With a drop off I tell clients that they are getting a portion per person and they can order extra (above guest counts) as they feel they need. Also they are responsible for portion control for drop offs and the most important part is I spell it all out in the contract.

Last edited:
With a drop off I tell clients that they are getting a portion per person and they can order extra (above guest counts) as they feel they need. Also they are responsible for portion control for drop offs and the most important part is I spell it all out in the contract.
This seems like a logical business model - fantastic write up, HB.

HBMTN, thank you for the thoughtful response. I'm setting up all those parameters now for our new venture. After every event, including the cleanup and repack, I'll sit down and work out the labor estimate of our costs, so that I'm not working for free, as you so clearly laid out.

Practice is fun if you want to do it, and are excited about the challenge, like cooking for your own party or a close friend. But doing for someone else, as your business, it's down right upsetting when I do a pile of work for free, and the other guy doesn't know or appreciate the implied "discount."

HBMTN, thank you for the thoughtful response. I'm setting up all those parameters now for our new venture. After every event, including the cleanup and repack, I'll sit down and work out the labor estimate of our costs, so that I'm not working for free, as you so clearly laid out.

Practice is fun if you want to do it, and are excited about the challenge, like cooking for your own party or a close friend. But doing for someone else, as your business, it's down right upsetting when I do a pile of work for free, and the other guy doesn't know or appreciate the implied "discount."

Thanks, hopefully it helps you. Just keep in mind that when I say 6-12 hours or more of additional work that may mean 3 staff working 3-4 hours each and not 12 hours myself. Never the less its work someone has to do and if you aren't doing it you have to pay someone to do it, and you have to make profit from them doing it also. If I have to pay you $40 to get X Y Z done that the client wants then my charge to the client will be $80.

I just heard from the potential client and we fleshed out a menu for ~ 100 people (approximately 75/25 adults/kids):

- Pulled pork, I'm thinking ~ 60 lbs
- Chicken quarters, again ~ 60 lbs
- 50 burgers and dogs
- Cole slaw
- Baked beans for 50 people
- Pasta salad for 50 people
- Smoked 5 cheese Mac and Cheese for 100
- Buns for burgers and dogs, and Kings Hawaiian slider rolls
- Piedmont style vinegar sauce and tomato based sauce for the pork
- Alabama white sauce for the chicken

She wanted to go half beans half pasta salad as she doesn't like beans.

Currently she is just looking for a quote on food, as serving dishes, tables etc will be provided by her. This will be an informal party for those who aren't able to attend their destination cruise ship wedding to Bermuda.

All of the food will either be bought at RD or the base commissary, but I have a few questions:

- Do I figure the Mac & Cheese, Cole slaw, baked beans, and pasta salad at 4 oz servings?
- Is 60# (pre-cooked) right for the pork and the chicken?
- For the cole slaw, do you pro's just buy bagged veggies and jar dressing, or are you making it from scratch? I'm leaning towards shredding the cabbage, carrots, etc myself.

Without going to RD and looking at prices, off the top of my head I am spitballin' around $20/person. Reasonable? The smoked Mac and cheese is expensive to make so that ups the price.

There is a local BBQ restaurant that will sell takeout in bulk but he charges $18/lb regardless if it's brisket, pork, chicken, sausage, etc.

I appreciate any and all replies. I don't want to price myself out of the job, but I also want to make sure I earn a reasonable profit margin.

This will be cooked onsite, proteins, beans, and mac & cheese will just be served in foil pans, pasta salad and cole slaw will be served in large plastic bowls. Again, this is an informal party.

Thanks,

Mike

EDIT: This is being done for the neighbor of a co-worker who is a good friend so I'm not adverse to giving them a bit of a break on the price.

She wanted to go half beans half pasta salad as she doesn't like beans. If this is not a drop off we don't split orders or pricing like this for half beans and half pasta salad. Her guests will not know she ordered this way and you will be known as the caterer who ran out of the most popular items.

Currently she is just looking for a quote on food, as serving dishes, tables etc will be provided by her. This will be an informal party for those who aren't able to attend their destination cruise ship wedding to Bermuda.

All of the food will either be bought at RD or the base commissary, but I have a few questions:

- Do I figure the Mac & Cheese, Cole slaw, baked beans, and pasta salad at 4 oz servings? Yes but you can expect the mac n cheese to be more like 6 to 8oz per person and with this many sides back the cold sides down to 3oz (especially with 25 kids) each but 4oz would be the normal serving side.
- Is 60# (pre-cooked) right for the pork and the chicken? I'd do 45-50lb raw pork and chicken would depend on what you are cooking. I'd suggest legs & thighs and I'd do about 60pc total depending on the size. We order in leg quarters and split them. We get about 58 quarters in a 40lb case so I'd cook a little over half of that case after I cut them. With the burgers and hotdogs also you will probably have leftovers but that part of catering.I might event only cook less hotdogs and burgers because you can turn them out quick if you need more.
- For the cole slaw, do you pro's just buy bagged veggies and jar dressing, or are you making it from scratch? I'm leaning towards shredding the cabbage, carrots, etc myself. We make our dressing but buy the pre cut cabbage w/carrots and purple cabbage mixed in

Without going to RD and looking at prices, off the top of my head I am spitballin' around $20/person. Reasonable? The smoked Mac and cheese is expensive to make so that ups the price. $17-$20 would be in the ball park. When you have a chance, take the time to cost out all of your ingredients and recipes so that you know exactly what your food costs are.

There is a local BBQ restaurant that will sell takeout in bulk but he charges $18/lb regardless if it's brisket, pork, chicken, sausage, etc.

I appreciate any and all replies. I don't want to price myself out of the job, but I also want to make sure I earn a reasonable profit margin.

This will be cooked onsite, proteins, beans, and mac & cheese will just be served in foil pans, pasta salad and cole slaw will be served in large plastic bowls. Again, this is an informal party.

HBMTN,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I hadn't thought about running out of beans or pasta salad. In the quote I will state that either I provide enough of each for everyone, or she posts a sign stating one or the other.

The wife and I are doing a recon run to RD Sunday morning so that I can price out everything.

Bagged veggies for the cole slaw makes sense, not much more expensive and way quicker. Plus everything will be more uniform in size.

Other things still left to do:

- Attend Servsafe class on 4March
- File LLC paperwork with the state
- Purchase insurance (umbrella liability policy and coverage for the smoker at a minimum)
- Open dba account
- Get tax ID number from the state

What else am I missing?

The #1 and first thing you do if you have not already done so is contact your local health dept to see what all you have to do to get legal in your area.

Yup, I've already sat down with them and the ServSafe course isn't the first step.

So here is the quote I just sent to the prospective client:

Jessica,

Below please find an initial quote for your reception for 80 adults and 20 kids.

- 64# raw pork butt, yields ~ 100 1/3 oz servings of finished pulled pork
- 35# chicken leg quarters
- 35# chicken breasts
- 2 hotel pans of cole slaw, yields ~ 64 1 cup servings
- 2 hotel pans of pasta salad, yields ~ 64 1 cup servings
- 3 hotel pans smoked 5 cheese Mac & Cheese, yields ~ 96 1 cup servings
- 2 hotel pans smoked baked beans, yields ~ 64 1 cup servings
- 20# Black Angus burger patties, yields ~ 80 burgers
- 60 Kayem hot dogs
- North Carolina style vinegar sauce for the pork
- Tomato based barbecue sauce for pork and chicken
- Pretzel and regular buns for the burgers
- Hot dog buns
- Condiments for the burgers and dogs (Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup, Relish)
- Fixings for burgers and dogs (tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cheese)
- Kings Hawaiian rolls for those that want to make pulled pork sliders

I will provide servings bowls, utensils, and tables for the food. All hot food will be cooked onsite, cold dishes will be prepared ahead of time and transported in Cambro insulated food carriers.

I will need an electrical outlet that I can run an extension cord to power lights, etc. I will also need a level spot to set up the cooker (it is 6' wide by 20' long).

I will arrive onsite with the cooker and start setting up at 6 AM. Food will be served in a 4 hour window, 4 PM - 8 PM.

I will remove all trash associated with the food service.

All food will be cooked over natural lump charcoal or dried hardwood, no propane or briquettes will be used.

A 50% deposit is required to reserve the date, with final payment due no less than 14 days prior to the event.

Total cost is $2,000.

Food price comes in at right around $600, tripled that and added $200 to cover gas for the truck and fuel for the cooker.

Well the cłient accepted the quote. We did agree to a 25% deposit to reserve the date, 50% payable 30 days prior to, Andrew the balance due day of. Contract is going in the mail tomorrow.

Well, that sounds fantastic!

I did think the contract was a little open-ended about clean -up, but maybe not.
You better keep us in the loop, with pics.
My business model has been 'deliver more than expected' and
that means answer the phone, as the date gets closer,
they get antsy.
"Calm down, it' will all be ok!". "It will be fine, perfect." Practice these words!
I just had that with my last client (contracting)
I e-mailed her - RELAX, it will be OK. She loved that calming down.
She thanked me, actually. Good LUCK!! Relax..

Well, that sounds fantastic!

I did think the contract was a little open-ended about clean -up, but maybe not.
You better keep us in the loop, with pics.
My business model has been 'deliver more than expected' and
that means answer the phone, as the date gets closer,
they get antsy.
"Calm down, it' will all be ok!". "It will be fine, perfect." Practice these words!
I just had that with my last client (contracting)
I e-mailed her - RELAX, it will be OK. She loved that calming down.
She thanked me, actually. Good LUCK!! Relax..

Good point on the clean-up - I will send her an email clarifying that I will only clean up trash associated with food prep and the food service, not the food consumption.

So here is the quote I just sent to the prospective client:

Jessica,

Below please find an initial quote for your reception for 80 adults and 20 kids.

- 64# raw pork butt, yields ~ 100 1/3 oz servings of finished pulled pork
- 35# chicken leg quarters
- 35# chicken breasts
- 2 hotel pans of cole slaw, yields ~ 64 1 cup servings
- 2 hotel pans of pasta salad, yields ~ 64 1 cup servings
- 3 hotel pans smoked 5 cheese Mac & Cheese, yields ~ 96 1 cup servings
- 2 hotel pans smoked baked beans, yields ~ 64 1 cup servings
- 20# Black Angus burger patties, yields ~ 80 burgers
- 60 Kayem hot dogs
- North Carolina style vinegar sauce for the pork
- Tomato based barbecue sauce for pork and chicken
- Pretzel and regular buns for the burgers
- Hot dog buns
- Condiments for the burgers and dogs (Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup, Relish)
- Fixings for burgers and dogs (tomatoes, onions, lettuce, cheese)
- Kings Hawaiian rolls for those that want to make pulled pork sliders

I will provide servings bowls, utensils, and tables for the food. All hot food will be cooked onsite, cold dishes will be prepared ahead of time and transported in Cambro insulated food carriers.

I will need an electrical outlet that I can run an extension cord to power lights, etc. I will also need a level spot to set up the cooker (it is 6' wide by 20' long).

I will arrive onsite with the cooker and start setting up at 6 AM. Food will be served in a 4 hour window, 4 PM - 8 PM.

I will remove all trash associated with the food service.

All food will be cooked over natural lump charcoal or dried hardwood, no propane or briquettes will be used.

A 50% deposit is required to reserve the date, with final payment due no less than 14 days prior to the event.

Total cost is $2,000.

Food price comes in at right around $600, tripled that and added $200 to cover gas for the truck and fuel for the cooker.

This conversation is timely as I am cooking for a friend's wedding next weekend. Same proteins and same number of guests. I was thinking 40-50 lbs of pork roast and and about 40lbs of chicken. Am I underestimating the amounts, or are you shooting high? The pork will be pulled and I am looking at cooking boneless thighs and breasts.

I am not a professional caterer. The wedding couple are paying for all the food and supplies and I am donating my time.

Back