Weber VS Saber

cfraz: thanks for the thoughts! You didn't happen to measure the temp on the sear area of the grill did you? Thanks for your thoughts! Anything you are disappointed about it?

Can you get the same sear on the Webber as on the saber? I know with the high heat, you can get a nice sear on it. So for both I guess you would say build quality is equal (slight to saber with 304 ss). Weber has it on customer service; Saber has it on no flare. Am I missing anything?

I think you would be happy with either. One thing that swayed me to Saber was talking to the local shop about assembly. they charge $75 to assemble the Weber and $35 to assemble the Saber. When I asked why he said the Saber is that much easier to assemble. He likened the Weber to putting together a puzzle :-D

Thread starter mentioned "replacing grill every few years".

Is that the whole unit or the grill grate?

I had a Kenmore grill given to us as a house warming 20 years ago and I JUST got rid of it (still working). I was a welder at one point in my life and we made a stainless grate cook top for it that will last longer than humans. And I just rebuilt the burner parts every few years for about $40.

Just my .02.....I'm just a newb though! ha

I have bought, used, and replaced several $200 - $300 gassers about every 3 years, until I paid the extra and got my Weber Genesis S-330. I got it on sale with an additional at 20% off from Lowes, as it was a display model and had a minor ding in one of the doors which Weber quickly replaced. I've had it 6 years now and use it several times a week. The only thing I have replaced has been the flavorizer bars, and I did that a little premature cause a guy on eBay sells heavy duty bars fairly cheap. Oh, and the cover, which Weber sent me for free. My igniter has gone out out or is just dirty, haven't replaced it yet, but will some time soon. It sits on my deck in the hot Texas sun, gets used a lot, and babied not enough. I still expect it to last me several more years. When she finally goes, or a great deal pops up, I think I'll switch back to a kettle, or one of those fancy new Weber's if the price comes down.

cfraz: thanks for the thoughts! You didn't happen to measure the temp on the sear area of the grill did you? Thanks for your thoughts! Anything you are disappointed about it?

I did not get the stainless steel bars, which I am still ok with. I would have liked to have got it, but it was not worth the extra money to me. I did get it in green, which I really like.

As for the burner heat, it gets CRAZY hot, but I don't have a number. The temp in the lid jumps to 800 easy.

I am sure the Saber is a quality grill. I am 100% satisfied with my Genesis. If someone wants to trade it for a Summit grill, I would go for it. But I don't want to pay that kind of money for something I don't use that much anymore.

Ha this is not helping ha. Getting pros from both sides with no cons. Completely understandable. Not too many people have had both. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I refurbish old Weber gas grills as a hobby.
I've rebuilt several from the late 1990's.
I have a 2011 genesis S-330 ( I bought used)
Not only can you keep Webers running almost forever the S-330 is the best cooking gasser I've ever cooked on.

I refurbish old Weber gas grills as a hobby.
I've rebuilt several from the late 1990's.
I have a 2011 genesis S-330 ( I bought used)
Not only can you keep Webers running almost forever the S-330 is the best cooking gasser I've ever cooked on.

Since you have seen probably all the Genesis line, do you have a recommendation on which version? (Eg e-330, ep-330 or s330) and why if you don't mind. Thanks

Love my Genesis 300. It's the last version with the burners running east/west. It easily gets as hot as I need without any issue. Solid grill.

Ok thanks! I'm still stuck between the two. I know I can't really go wrong with either though. For those that have had both, is there a taste difference? Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they didn't get that Bbq toast with their IR grill...but I'm pretty sure it was a Char-broil so maybe that was the reason.

Since you have seen probably all the Genesis line, do you have a recommendation on which version? (Eg e-330, ep-330 or s330) and why if you don't mind. Thanks
Unless you like the appearance of stainless go with the e series.
Would you use a side burner?
If so get 330 if not the 310.
I wouldn't do the stainless grate & flavorizer bar upgrade.
I like the standard cast iron grate better than SS rods.
When the porceloin bars burn out at 3 y/o then replace with heavy aftermarket SS flavorizer bars.
The Weber SS bars last about 4-5 years with moderate use.
Best cooking older Genesis is the silver series from early 2000's after they switched from 2 layers flavorizer bars to one.

Ok thanks! I'm still stuck between the two. I know I can't really go wrong with either though. For those that have had both, is there a taste difference? Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they didn't get that Bbq toast with their IR grill...but I'm pretty sure it was a Char-broil so maybe that was the reason.
The flavor profile of food grilled over gas is different from charcoal.
I grill 3-4 times a week , on weekends & during Daylight savings time I tend to use charcoal, when the weather is cold & the days are short gas.
With charcoal I use much simpler seasoning & get the flavor from the charcoal & meat.
With the gasser often marinade & more intense seasoning.

Would you notice a difference in taste between an IR grill (Saber) and a Weber gas grill? Also, anyone else care to share their thoughts on the subject. I'm still torn between the two. Thank you

I like the ( ir saber ) more than the regular gas grill type
as i think it holds moisture in the meat better. You cook things faster at high temps. I love the way they cook!! I have a few wood chip boxes load them up with 1 grill on low settings and i do ribs/chicken/pork butts all the time on the 2nd level grate. I've learned to use a wood chip on the corner lid where it closed to crack it a bit if temps get to hot. The sear you get on a steak is amazing with the settings on high. YES I NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE. PLUS THE QUALITY IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST IVE SEEN EVER IN A GASSER

Ugg...I haven't! I'm still trying to decide. I think this thread confused me even more ha. No one has anything negative to say about either one.

Back