Weber UDS lid dripping on to barrel

Thanks for the ideas guys, those would work great if I never wanted to use the original drum lid again.

Chris

Just curious, but why do you need both a kettle lid and the original drum lid? Can't you just always use the kettle lid? I think many people (including myself) do that with good success. I suppose if you are sharing the same kettle lid between your actual kettle and your UDS, then I could understand. But if you've got a kettle lid specifically for your UDS, then just run with it all the time.

Just curious, but why do you need both a kettle lid and the original drum lid? Can't you just always use the kettle lid? I think many people (including myself) do that with good success. I suppose if you are sharing the same kettle lid between your actual kettle and your UDS, then I could understand. But if you've got a kettle lid specifically for your UDS, then just run with it all the time.

The main reason was for the dripping, but if I make it so it doesn't drip I may just get rid of the original lid.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The main reason was for the dripping, but if I make it so it doesn't drip I may just get rid of the original lid.

I originally had that same idea and still have the lid waiting to be put in use. The kettle lid has been so successful that I will never use the flat lid.

That's probably what would happen to me too, honestly. Maybe I just have an emotional attachment to the drum lid. I spent the time cleaning it up and its my first drum lid(kind of like a child). :laugh:

My UDS runs on "manual" a LOT better with the flat lid, runs great with the kettle lid with the auber. To be fair I never STARTED a cook with the kettle lid on manual, just swapped it on mid test run, the temp ran away on me. My flat lid is a sort of "weird" one from a drum that had no strengthening beads, so I had to cut the lip off the drum I used for a UDS, but then the weber lid fits perfectly :).

Bill

Starts off like this
0660586d.jpg

You know your doin something right when it looks like this
45999e22.jpg

I find it funny that whenever I'm done the lid is welded to the drum and will not come off without major force which eleminates the transport issue of the lid blowing off. Never has and don't expect it ever will. I hit it with the weed burner for about 5 seconds and it comes right off. My $.02 but I definitely feel for the crowd that wants their BBQ pit clean :twitch:

Off topic, but what year is the Camaro in the background? It's got to be a 1970 1/2 to 1973 with the Rally Sport front end. Just curious. And I apologize for the hijack.

72 rs z/28 no factory ac. All original matching #'s but have been removed and stored for future restoration. Currently a 9 sec street car, minor mods :biggrin1:
B2C4B35C-00D5-4FBD-AC7E-2C31302AF596-1025-0000015E3E6C2BDC.jpg

I flattened the lip on the the Weber lid then set it on top of the drum and formed it to my drum. It works pretty well, but the lip loses its strength and can bend back easily.

You come to love the drips. I hated them at first, but after about an hour I came to the realization that it just shows the drum is loved.

I flattened the lip on the the Weber lid then set it on top of the drum and formed it to my drum. It works pretty well, but the lip loses its strength and can bend back easily.

You come to love the drips. I hated them at first, but after about an hour I came to the realization that it just shows the drum is loved.

I actually already started this method as I made this thread. We'll see how it goes. If I screw it up I can always get another CL lid and go another route.

Care to elaborate? :mrgreen:

swamprb, as I mentioned in my first post, is, to the best of my knowledge, the person who originated the idea. The "soon to be patented" is his wry comment to those of us who imitated the idea --- I think. :becky:

Back