Weber Summit Charcoal discontinued

Sjhill

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Stu
After 6 weeks of waiting I finally got my Weber Summit Charcoal. I’ll post pics of it and the first cook soon, but i wanted to get this info I heard out there as I haven’t seen it anywhere.

My local ace kept trying to get me a WSC and the delivery date kept getting pushed back. They thankfully found one at a sister store, but they got in contact with their Weber rep to ask why they could get all the other Weber Grills but this one kept getting delayed. The rep said Weber is not making any more, and they will soon discontinue the grill for a “kamado cooker.” Since the WSC is already a kamado style cooker I think this is referring to rumors I have seen that Weber is making a cheaper version of the WSC possibly with a table other than a stainless one.

Knowing this now I feel super thankful I got one of the last ones out there. Just something for everyone to keep in mind who were wanting one.

Last edited:
Interesting piece of information.

I got my standard unit without the side cart from an Ace Hardware that was about ready to give it away - essentially to discount it to near cost.

My other local Ace is holding onto theirs and holding strong at pricing it at MSRP, $1500. It has sat there for at least a year. So to hear that they haven't found a market and want to wind down is not a surprise. Disappointing but not a surprise.

Not really surprised, they totally screwed up to marketing on it on my opinion...

Oh my, glad you were able to get yours. The grill is interesting, but their asking price is wild. When I first heard of it I thought they were gonna take the Akorn/Keg style approach by undercutting ceramics, but they decided to price right up there with them. Just didn't seem like you were getting the same thing out of it at the time. Like you said that could have also been marketing for the grill being terrible.

Having used an Akorn cooker for a while I actually grew to like it. Give credit where credit is due. It works pretty good! Clearly ceramics have challengers from other material compositions, but part of that involves undercutting the premium pricing bigger names are asking for. That might be more muddy now though since mid & low tier ceramic grill providers have come to market.

I do think there is room in their line up for a $500-800 Weber charcoal grill, but $1k+ is asking a lot.

Oh my, glad you were able to get yours. The grill is interesting, but their asking price is wild. When I first heard of it I thought they were gonna take the Akorn/Keg style approach by undercutting ceramics, but they decided to price right up there with them. Just didn't seem like you were getting the same thing out of it at the time. Like you said that could have also been marketing for the grill being terrible.

Having used an Akorn cooker for a while I actually grew to like it. Give credit where credit is due. It works pretty good! Clearly ceramics have challengers from other material compositions, but part of that involves undercutting the premium pricing bigger names are asking for. That might be more muddy now though since mid & low tier ceramic grill providers have come to market.

I do think there is room in their line up for a $500-800 Weber charcoal grill, but $1k+ is asking a lot.

Agree on all points! I had an Akorn for quite awhile, in between ceramic grills (BGE then Vision) and I liked it a lot. The fact I could lay my hand on the outside while the grill was running 400-500* showed me they’re a lot more thermally efficient than ceramic - ain’t no way I’m doing that on a ceramic grill under similar circumstances. The ceramic does have some thermal mass but I definitely appreciate the dual walled metal with insulation sandwiched in between...especially when it comes to moving the thing.

I thought that Chargrillers price was in alignment with the quality. Although I never cooked on the WSCG I saw them in the showroom and thought they were nicely done, what I’d expect out of a Weber grill. The price point however was not something I could justify - $600-800 you have my interest but $1200 or whatever the entry level was....eh. I don’t think it even had insulation between the metal layers?

I’m not surprised either. I had a chance to buy the more expensive one for half price the year it came out after it sat unsold at a local appliance store. As Baby Back Maniac called out in a video at the time, Weber botched the marketing. They sold it as a combo kettle, performer and WSM. Problem was the kettle was redundant with the performer and even if you ignored that it was still twice the price of buying the other three.

It still might have struggled but I think they would have done better if they’d positioned it as a Kamado and gone after the BGE based on the durability, ease to move etc. while the egg has a premium reputation, so does Weber

They could have just made the outside bigger on the kettle and added the same air gap to it so the internal area would be the same as current kettle and added a gasket. Thing I hat about the Akorn and Broil King Keg is the upper rack..

Last edited:
Outside of the "hardcore" BBQ guys I don't know if anyone even knows the WSCG exists. I've never seen it at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Menards, or any other similar hardware type store. I've never even seen it at BBQ stores like Grillbillies. The only time I've ever seen one in person was at the NBBQA annual conference a few years ago. It certainly looks to be a solid piece of equipment, but the price point is frustratingly high.

Outside of the "hardcore" BBQ guys I don't know if anyone even knows the WSCG exists. I've never seen it at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Menards, or any other similar hardware type store. I've never even seen it at BBQ stores like Grillbillies. The only time I've ever seen one in person was at the NBBQA annual conference a few years ago. It certainly looks to be a solid piece of equipment, but the price point is frustratingly high.

I've seen them at speciality stores here. They're really nice, if i wanted a kamado/kamado style grill I think it's direction I would go

Mine was worth every penny and I absolutely love it.

Same rumor that floated around this time last year. Weber has no plans to discontinue the Summit Charcoal.
There's definitely some disruption in the supply chain though.

If they really are gone I’m glad I’ve got one...

I agree completely with this. Weber did a terrible job of not only marketing this to the public, but also the people who would be selling it. When I went to my local ace to order one I told the grill associate i wanted a Weber summit charcoal and his first response was the summits were a gas line not a charcoal line. The guy selling them had never heard about them.

The price may have been a little steel, but I’m happy with my purchase. I wanted to consolidate a lot of my equipment, and this grill does exactly that.

I think they’ll have a lot of success in the US with the char ring and diffuser plate they’re selling overseas. At least when they finally make it available to us...

Mine was worth every penny and I absolutely love it.

Same rumor that floated around this time last year. Weber has no plans to discontinue the Summit Charcoal.
There's definitely some disruption in the supply chain though.

I’ve seen it rumored before. This ones seems a little more believable though being that it came from a representative at Weber. If it does end up being the case It will he smart to order a few parts you may need heard down the line before they run out. Perhaps an extra charcoal ring.

I've wanted one since they first came out but the price always kept me from buying one. One of our local BBQ stores that sell them say they don't sell well but I've never seen them discount one. If they ever did, I might have to jump on one.

If I was in the market for a kamado style cooker, the summit charcoal is what I’d go for. I’ve had ceramics in the past and also A little akorn in the camper..the wsc is better option imo...price is a little steep for what it is though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back