Weber Summit Charcoal dilemma

Sjhill

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Stu
I have just about talked myself into really thinning the herd. I am planing on selling all three WSM as well as my performer and buying a summit charcoal.

The only thing stopping me is the fact that the summit has been out for over 4 years now and I know with my luck the second I buy one the product will get updated. Has anyone heard any early rumblings about an updated model? My other thought process is that Weber doesn’t seem to update their products to often so this summit may be staying as it is for years to come before an upgrade happens.

Last edited:
I'm pretty involved in the summit online community, and haven't seen or heard any rumblings about an update.

True, only upgrade I could possibly think of would be higher quality wheels..but that's just nitpicking.

You could take the cheaper option if you can find a used 26 kettle and see how you like smoking on it. A have a 26 and an 85 gallon uds but I’ve never tried to smoke on the kettle.

The way Weber's going if they make any changes it will probably be something that cuts production costs and not necessarily improving the grill, like they have the Genesis.

I can’t see them improving not. If anything, they will make it cheaper. Just buy it and enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well I believe you’ve all convinced me to bite the bullet. I talked to the local ace and they are willing to sell the table top version with the expansion rack and a rib rack for $1800 with free assembly and delivery. I normally always put my grills together but it would be nice not having to. Anyone ever had any problems with places like ace pre assembling grills for them?

I'd hold on to one WSM. The smoke profile is going to be different on the Summit, comparable to a kamado. You might find that you miss that WSM flavor.

Well I believe you’ve all convinced me to bite the bullet. I talked to the local ace and they are willing to sell the table top version with the expansion rack and a rib rack for $1800 with free assembly and delivery. I normally always put my grills together but it would be nice not having to. Anyone ever had any problems with places like ace pre assembling grills for them?
I've never had Ace assemble, but I've bought an assembled grill from Home Depot that I ended up taking back because of a horrible assembly. It was very evident that they ran all the screws and bolts in with an impact and didn't bother reading the directions. I'll never buy an assembled grill again. I'd take the free delivery, but only if it's still in the box.

I threw a Weber 6605 rib rack in the trash a couple months ago that was <1yr old due to the chrome flaking off. Hopefully they're giving you the 7648.

AWESOME!!!

Mine was the first one sold in the state of Oklahoma way back when, I bought it from ACE and assembled myself...

I had my Weber Genesis assembled by ACE a few years ago and have had no problems.

Well done. I got a deal on the WSC without the side cart, and I'm constantly using it. The size, temp control and the flexibility seems pretty top notch.

The only thing I did to it was to get the UltraQ a few weeks ago, just to regulate heat while I'm sleeping. It is very efficient, no need to add fuel, just the overnight watching of temps that can wander and my obsessive compulsive nature to keep temps in a tight range.

I've had no problem with Ace assembling. My WSC was a floor model at Ace (hence the deal), and I've had them do a couple of grills over the last 20 years. The biggest off was a Genesis, and it stands right next to me in great shape.

I own one and love it. The biggest improvement Weber could make is to offer a cheaper version without the gas assist starter. I find a chimney easier to use.

I have just about talked myself into really thinning the herd. I am planing on selling all three WSM as well as my performer and buying a summit charcoal...

Say it ain't so!

Why wouldn't you keep the WSMs? I find they are compact and easy to use and take up very little space. The Summit looks like an option if you don't have a Kettle but, I don't see how it really replaces a WSM.

What is the attraction? What am I missing?

Say it ain't so!

Why wouldn't you keep the WSMs? I find they are compact and easy to use and take up very little space. The Summit looks like an option if you don't have a Kettle but, I don't see how it really replaces a WSM.

What is the attraction? What am I missing?

The summit is supposed to be like a kamado in that it can go low and slow just as well as it can get super hot. I can count one one hand the times I’ve wanted to use my kettle and my wsm at the same time so having one cooker that can cover all my bases seems intriguing to me.

Back