Weber...Performer...Brisket...I need ur help!

mattdean1003

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello again Brethren! So, my fear of brisket has been put aside. Since I did my last smoke, a Boston butt on my Performer, I've kinda started to wonder...what else can I smoke on here that will come out absolutely phenomenal? I did mean to follow up with that thread-out of all the butts I've cooked on all the different grills smokers pits etc, it was by far the BEST I've ever done. Which lead me to my brisket purchase at the Epps Bridge Wallyworld today.

2.68 a pound isn't terrible. For right at 30 bucks, I got a can of McCormick Sweet n Smokey rub and an 11.5 lb brisket. I went on a fat trimming spree and trimmed a LOT of fat off, but there's still a decent layer on there, and all of the hard fat that you've got to just about cut with a chainsaw is pretty much all gone now too. I also trimmed out the hunk of hard fat between the point and flat, and filled the cavity with some rub. I saw that on the Aaron Franklin brisket video. So, now let's talk cook times.

I'm definitely going for a hotter cook. I'm estimating about a pound and a half of trimmed off fat so that's going to leave me with roughly a 10 lb brisket. Coated it 100 percent with Sweet n Smokey rub, left it on the pan and wrapped it up to rest for the evening. I'm going to light my fire about 8AM or so and I'm using the Kroger brand lump. Love that stuff...it lasts forever. I figure my grill is going to run between 275 and 325 per the thermometer built into the lid, as that's where it likes to ride at; no matter where and how I adjust both dampers, it loves to cook somewhere in the 300 neighborhood when doing a smoke.

What'chall suggest? Also probably going to throw some chicken on to "grill" as it's finishing up; it's the wonderful girlfriend's birthday who scored this grill for me. Gotta do something nice for her. I DID get AT&T to swap out her Galaxy S4 for a red one...this will be her 4th phone since May, as for some reason hers randomly shuts off and we have to pull the battery to get it to come back on...so I demanded a new, non refurbished phone, and they "as a one time courtesy, complied"...never understood why they send a refurbished device even under warranty.

Lemme know what you think! Going to cook it with some pretty sizable oak chunks.

Cooked my first brisket ever on a performer last Sunday. Came out great. Used KBB and 3 pecan chunks and water pan. Ran around the temp you said, with fluctuations inherent in that cooker. Added briquettes twice. Did not wrap. ~6.5 hrs I think 190+, probe through point like butter, slight resistance in a couple of places of the flat. Waited till about 8 hr mark and probed all butter, everywhere. A bit hard to slice the flat, too tender. Perhaps I should have checked @7 1/4 hr mark? Still quite good though. Good Luck, it will be great.

Set it up to run the ring of fire the point will take care of it's self probe tender in the thicket part of the flat is the last word. Happy birthday to your main squeeze.

BRIKKIES ON!

I'm a little concerned with how close my coals are to the grate as this lump has some pretty big pieces, but I put the fat cap down to kinda shield the heat. And I just remembered I didn't put a fricken' water pan...gotta fix that real quick.

Also, I don't know how many of you are rail buffs, but I tried out the video camera on my Galaxy S4 to see how well it captured audio, and shot the arrival/departure of Amtrak's Crescent from the Gainesville station. I'll let you fine folks check it out while I revise my water pan issue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocoCGKO1NY"]Amtrak 20 station arrival and departure - YouTube[/ame]

It's the BEST horn (K5LA) I've ever heard.

Yeah it kinda caught me off guard lol. Had an amazing horn on it though and that made the little outing worthwhile.

FINALLY got my temp up to about 300, the lump kept going out. I guess you have to have it more tightly packed than briquettes. Was hoping to have it done by about 5 so this is definitely going to be a hot and fast. Don't have any butcher paper so foil will have to do.

Get you a Smokenator , works great

I can vouch for that. I used mine a ton before buying my WSM. It's a great addition to a Weber kettle! It's the only way I could actually keep the temp low....like you said, kettles like to run at 300+

If you get a couple of fire bricks it does the same thing as a smokenator does at much less cost.

As for cooking big pieces of meat like a pork butt or a brisket, use the ring of fire method, you get a much longer burn than if you used a smokenator.

8DHUYmx.jpg

yAU4bkd.jpg

I finished the brisket I put on that setup running at 300-330 degrees in 5hrs 15mins. It still had probably 4+ hours left of burn time.

Here is my thread on cooking a brisket in a kettle.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167397

If you get a couple of fire bricks it does the same thing as a smokenator does at much less cost.

As for cooking big pieces of meat like a pork butt or a brisket, use the ring of fire method, you get a much longer burn than if you used a smokenator.

8DHUYmx.jpg

yAU4bkd.jpg

I finished the brisket I put on that setup running at 300-330 degrees in 5hrs 15mins. It still had probably 4+ hours left of burn time.

Here is my thread on cooking a brisket in a kettle.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167397

wow, that is BBQ dedication.

good luck with your brisket. i giggled at your horn jiggle. :biggrin1:

It didn't come out anywhere near as juicy as bludawgs brisket he posted came out but it was fall apart tender. I actually pulled the point off the flat and it just kinda fell apart like pulled pork. MAN it was good. I think I cooked it to long. I dont go by temp on much anything anymore. Will post a money shot later. Headed to the Comer fair!

It's the BEST horn (K5LA) I've ever heard.
I've heard that train guys insist that they're whistles, noit horns.

Glad to hear the brisket came out well. A technique I've used for smoking on a kettle is to use a single wire basket (like the ones that came with the SS Performers) and add more coals to it every 45 minutes or so. More work than the ring of fire but it did the job.

Back