THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jpalaska

Full Fledged Farker
I got some really good comments from you guys on my first post. I think I will consider a Weber one touch for charcoal, as a 2nd purchase.
However, I want to start with the best gasser I can afford to start my new best grilling. I'm an old fart, 67 years old, just moved to NC. I realize there are wonderful BBQ traditions here (Lexington, Eastern NC, etc for smoked, pulled pork, etc.)
I'll probably get into wood, charcoal, smokers eventually. And East NC, West NC, SC mustard sauce, white chicken sauce, beef ribs, eventually.
But to start, I want to get a really good quality gas grill that I can do indirect and reverse sear, et al.
I'm liking the Weber EP-330 because it has stainless steel grill grates and flavor bars.
I realize most of you guys are way ahead of me in grilling, bbq'ing and so much more.
I am where I am.

I love well grilled steaks, burgers, bbq chicken, and ribs.
Is the Weber Genesis EP-330 a good choice for the money?
If not, what is better (for the money), and why?
thanks,
JP

A beer and three glasses of Merlot analogy.

Gassers are like golf clubs. You can buy clubs at Walmart- Academy Target etc and they are Ok. But walk in to a Golf course Pro Shop and look at the top of the line Ping-Titleist-etc.

Now, go to Home Depot Lowes etc and kick the tires on a gas grill. Then go to a Patio Shop, Propane Dealer etc that sells top of the line Webers, Sabers etc.

I promise you you will be able to tell the difference. Now, do the right thing.
Good luck sir !!!

I've been a Weber fan for years. I still have my first Kettle purchased in 1980. I had a Genesis Gold B gasser that lasted me about 15 years. When it was time to replace it my first choice was weber and I was trying to decide between the EP-330 and the S-330. Then I saw the Saber gas grill at a local dealer and started doing some research. I found a review by my friend, and Brethren member, Larry (BBQGrail) and he was so impressed with the Saber that he bought one. Larry and I had a few conversations about it and I decided to buy the Saber instead of the Weber.

Here is my mini-review of the Saber with lots of pictures.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162601

I've had the Saber for about 8 months and I have cooked just about everything you can think of on it and it does a great job! There is nothing wrong with the Genesis, but I think the Saber is built better and cooks better. See if you can find one in your area and take a look at it before making your decision.

In Alaska, we called dog mushing, by recreational yuppies, "Eskimo golf".
So, I appreciate your golf/gassing analogy, but I don't really understand if you answered my questions.

JP

Genesis is the standard all gasser's should be judged against. Unfortunately about 90% of gas grills fall below a genesis

I too have been a Weber fan for years, a lot of years.I have a Weber gasser that has worked for me for over 15 years. Couple of years ago I had an issue with the cooking body warping and the grease basket falling out all the time. I wrote Weber and they asked for a couple of pictures and then sent me a whole new cooking chamber, no charge. Point is their customer service is fantastic.

I actually use mine more than the oven inside, easier, cleaner and does not heat up the kitchen.

I would have my original Weber gasser that is over 20 years old but I gave it to my Son because me moved into a Condo he still uses that grill all the time.

Keep them clean and covered and they will become a wise investment and a family member.

WEBER

I love well grilled steaks, burgers, bbq chicken, and ribs.
Is the Weber Genesis EP-330 a good choice for the money?
If not, what is better (for the money), and why?
thanks,
JP

Yes, good choice for the money. Look at everything available to you at your price point. Why is Weber a good choice - Decent construction and parts are readily available, along with great customer service.

Saber mentioned above is owned by (subsidiary) Charbroil and is infared "technology", not a traditional gas burner grill. A different stroke, so to speak. I've not cooked on one but I have owned Charbroil once and it's not a repeat purchase for me.

My preference for a gas grill is Lynx. It is not in the under 1K price range however.

Look at reviews of the grill you are considering and see if the issues mentioned are a problem for you. You really can't go wrong with the Weber. Good luck!

Jsn

Last edited:
I picked up the ss-330, it's the stainless steel brother of the ep-330. I've had it for 2 years now and have cooked numerous things on it, including rotisserie chicken (with the weber rotisserie accessory) I also got a metal wedge smoke box that fits between the flavor bars, it does a decent job of imparting some smoke onto what your grilling, but I don't think you could really "smoke" with it. But then again I haven't tried. In the past year I have to admit i don't use it much, I instead light up my kettle. The kettle takes just a bit longer to get to temp then the 330, but i just prefer the taste of charcoal, which makes it worth the added effort. I still use the grill for quick meals for food that doesn't need all that long like burgers and dogs, or to cook bacon on my cast iron griddle. I've also used the side burner to light my charcoal chimney from time to time.

Basically it's a great consumer level gas grill that will last you years and replacement parts are readily accessible.

I have a E-330. I got it when we bought our house. It is a solid machine. 200 lbs (?) of cooking glory. It is by far the best gas grill I've ever used. Good build quality with high quality components. I much prefer it to my parent's Holland.

I went for the 330 because I really wanted the sear burner. I don't give a crap about the side burner because those are stupid but the 330 has both. In hindsight, I would have saved the $$$ and got the 310 without either of those things. The sear burner is ok, but I don't use it quite as much as I thought I would.

Regardless of what direction you go, buy a good cover for it. I cry a little bit inside every time I see a expensive grill sitting outside.

I also have the S-330. Been using it for several years now as a grill and in my early attemps at BBQ. I love the size of it and the temp range of 250* to 650* if needed. I just got my WSM last week and that will be my primary smoker / roaster, but I will still use my S-330 for steaks, burgers and dogs. WSM for low and slow, S-330 for hot and fast...

I have cooked on the Weber E-330, and for the money, it is a great choice.

I prefer the Lynx and Lion brands for build quality, but, price is more.

I do not like stainless steel grates, they simply don't cook as well. But, they are easy to clean and don't rust. I think you should get some Grill Grates when you get your grill.

I am on my second weber genesis. The first one was 10 years old or so when I burned it up in a drunken attempt at ribs. I bought my WSM shortly after. I acquired my fathers old red head a few years ago. I would love a new one and look at the 330 and drool but my redhead still has plenty of good years in her. The thing I am not a fan of on the new webers are the burners now run front to back instead of side to side, many like that better but side to side is what I am used to.

Good luck on your decision, I think there is room on my deck for charcoal and gas. Right now it is 7 to 1 though :)

Conversely, the thing I hated about Webers were the side-to-side burners, as they made setting up zone and off-set cooking more difficult. The new arrangement makes it much easier to do off-set cook with large chunks of meat.

I had a Genesis Silver C for almost 10 years that we sold before we moved last summer. We just acquired a new EP-330. Honestly, I think it's the best grill you can get for the money. I like the side burner a lot because I use it to light my charcoal chimney. The sear station is nice but not the game changer I hoped it would be. I like the stainless steel grates because I can ignore them for months at a time without worrying about rust which was not the case with my other grates.

You could buy something made out of stainless entirely and that would be awesome, but with the great warranty Weber provides, it just wasn't worth it to me. I feel like this will last as long as I need it to. In fact, my only real complaint was that my old one was boring. It just works. I had to move before had an excuse to get rid of it and get a new one. lol.

Saber mentioned above is owned by (subsidiary) Charbroil and is infared "technology", not a traditional gas burner grill. A different stroke, so to speak. I've not cooked on one but I have owned Charbroil once and it's not a repeat purchase for me.

Yeah, Saber is owned by Charbroil, but that is where the connection ends. There is no comparison in build quality.

It does take a little bit to get used to cooking on an infrared grill, but it was a short learning curve.

Back